low consuming electric stove

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toros

Hello,
Is there any low watt electrical stove for multiunit apartment bldg.
I am trying get low total demand load for the service sizing.

With 5000 w stove in each unit, my calcs total is too high , sevice is too big and i would need utility xformer in the property.
I have no gas system in that building.
Thank you

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hello,
Is there any low watt electrical stove for multiunit apartment bldg.
I am trying get low total demand load for the service sizing.

With 5000 w stove in each unit, my calcs total is too high , sevice is too big and i would need utility xformer in the property.
I have no gas system in that building.
Thank you

this seems more like something for the owner to decide. making the stoves less usable just to get a smaller electrical service seems like maybe a bad choice.

5000W is not that big of a stove to begin with.

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe wood burning stoves?

If you used 5kW ranges all the users would complain how long it takes to cook things. They already complain sometimes with 8-12 kW ranges.

topgone

If you used 5kW ranges all the users would complain how long it takes to cook things. They already complain sometimes with 8-12 kW ranges.

Hahaha! Almost fell off my chair here with that wood-burning stoves of yours!

Seriously, I guess the OP should visit Table 220.55 for guidance on demand factors for range loads. E.g. if you have 5 x 5000kW units, you can use a demand factor of 0.45, IIRC.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
:lol: They may allow that kind of thing out in Nebraska, but it looks like the OP is from the LA area (and I don't mean Louisiana). Out here you need special gov't permission to burn, even in the dead of winter (not that we really have winter compared to Nebraska).

Anyway, in response to the OP, I second topgone's suggestion. Take a close look at Table 220.55 (as well as any other demand factors you might be able to use, such as 220.53 and 220.54). If, after exhausting all of your options for demand factors, your service will still be too large, it's probably time to go to the owner with the hard truth: you can either pipe in natural gas, or you can increase the size of the electrical service.

kwired

Electron manager
:lol: They may allow that kind of thing out in Nebraska, but it looks like the OP is from the LA area (and I don't mean Louisiana). Out here you need special gov't permission to burn, even in the dead of winter (not that we really have winter compared to Nebraska).

I was just giving alternatives since he wanted lower kW and had no gas, that was about all that is left except for the BBQ grill.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I believe that Induction Cooktops are more efficient. But that would mean that the residents would have to use specific cookware (a magnet must stick to it). Maybe the landlord would provide the cookware with the units?

Wiki article said:
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, the efficiency of energy transfer for an induction cooker is 84%, versus 74% for a smooth-top non-induction electrical unit, for an approximate 12% saving in energy for the same amount of heat transfer.

Energy efficiency is the ratio between energy delivered to the food and that consumed by the cooker, considered from the "customer side" of the energy meter. Cooking with gas has an energy efficiency of about 40% at the customer's meter and can be raised only by using very special pots, so the DOE efficiency value will be used.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Wiki article

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, the efficiency of energy transfer for an induction cooker is 84%, versus 74% for a smooth-top non-induction electrical unit, for an approximate 12% saving in energy for the same amount of heat transfer.

Energy efficiency is the ratio between energy delivered to the food and that consumed by the cooker, considered from the "customer side" of the energy meter. Cooking with gas has an energy efficiency of about 40% at the customer's meter and can be raised only by using very special pots, so the DOE efficiency value will be used.

How much energy is spent on cooking vs heating and cooling? I don't think it is worth it to worry too much about the energy efficiency of cooking appliances, and certainly not worth spending very much extra for more efficient units for the average dwelling anyway.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Are these granny sized ovens that go on a 30 amp circuit?

If the heat is already electric I wouldnt worry to much since when the oven is running chances are the heat wont be at it for to long. Only thing of concern might be if the system peaks under cooling in terms of load.

kwired

Electron manager
Are these granny sized ovens that go on a 30 amp circuit?

What is granny sized? We are kind of talking smaller in the thread topic, yet my granny would have wanted it to be larger - she baked a lot, and to this day I don't know if anyone baked better.

Status
Not open for further replies.