Conduit Support accrross 30 feet street

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsbeih

I'm working on an industrial plant where I have to run a 3/4" metal conduit (THHN cable 2/C#12 + 1/C #12G). from the load to the existing pipe rack there is 30 feet live street where I cant install any T- support/poles accross. How can I route and support that conduit for 30 ft before I reach the existing rack support?

wsbeih

It is for plant, but client doesn't want any obstacle on the road.
Execuse my question but what do you mean by grider?

growler

I'm working on an industrial plant where I have to run a 3/4" metal conduit (THHN cable 2/C#12 + 1/C #12G). from the load to the existing pipe rack there is 30 feet live street where I cant install any T- support/poles accross. How can I route and support that conduit for 30 ft before I reach the existing rack support?

Darn 30 ft is a long one once you start to think about it.

I haven't seen your situation so I'm just throwing an idea out there. Could you run a steel cable and use that to support 30+ ft. of seal tight. They do hang traffic lights from steel cables.

The girder idea is great but may get real expensive.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Supports on the structures on each side and span the road with a pair or bar joists with stiffeners between the joists to prevent twisting.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I did see a local job where they lashed PVC conduit to a support cable between two buildings for at least 30' and pulled computer cables in the PVC.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
why do you have to run metal conduit?

this seems like a good application for running a steel cable and supporting a cable of some sort off it. maybe MC?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The most common solution I see is to use ACSR quad the change over to a "conventional" wiring method at each end..
Works for untold number of utility installs. Why reinvent the wheel :)

wsbeih

I learned that there will be a self supported pipe crossing the street. Can I support my conduit by mounting it on the Pipe using Piping straps and conduits clamps?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I learned that there will be a self supported pipe crossing the street. Can I support my conduit by mounting it on the Pipe using Piping straps and conduits clamps?
That is a question for the mechicanical engineer. The NEC does not prohibit that method of support.

ritelec

Not sure if to code but had to do it once with 2". (6 runs......fully packed pipe)

"Coupling splints"

Deep v bar across the coupling (top of pipe).... two cowboys (conduit hangers) on each length before and after the coupling.

Eye hook on v bar..........guy line from eye hook to building.

building on left down to left coupling splint...building on right down to right coupling splint.

??? Just a thought.

How about CLX for the entire run with messenger support of the span?

Status
Not open for further replies.