Golf Cart Charging Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Working on building with electric golf cart charging stations. Never really worked on one of these before and after reading article 625 partially, it makes it fairly clear (In the Handbook anyway) that article 625 is really reserved for "Automotive on-road vehicles" so I kind of ruled out using article 625.

I plan on providing a GFCI receptacle for all the charging stations but how would I figure the loading on the receptacles? I would also assume that all these loads would be considered continuous correct? Some chargers I looked at online look like they are rated for 12 amps, but the voltage is variable. Ideally I am looking for a kW load.

Any other small caveats that someone could suggest would be appreciated.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The only ones I ever inspected were hard-wired. I do not consider them a continuous load as the current is not normally at the maximum for 3 hours or more.

Npstewart

So there is no receptacle associated with the charger?

Are they just hard wired with a 20A single pole disconnect?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
So there is no receptacle associated with the charger?

Are they just hard wired with a 20A single pole disconnect?

I can only speaks for the installs I have seen... they were not cord & plug... yours may be different.

Npstewart

Im looking at some now. Some seem to be hard wired, some come with a standard AC cord.

Average loading on these is around 10amps.

I would probably be nervous about putting more then one on a 20A circuit.

Conservatively speaking, it may be best to just provide a simplex receptacle on a dedicated circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.