pool/deck bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwhj

:? an above ground pool surrounded by a wooden deck to the height of the pool. The pool has a vinyl liner with some sort of composite material for the shell. the pool is 45" deep. Half of the deck is 3' wide the rest is 20'. What do I do with the #8 wire? Some say drill the deck 4", others say dig the ground 4".

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
clarification, please... is the maximum water depth 45" ? If not, what is the maximum ?

Volta

Yeah, that's not very clear in 680.26(B)(2)(b)(5) for your situation, is it? Still, to reduce stray currents from other sources it seems that digging to secure the wire 5" below the subgrade may be best. Definitely something you want to discuss with the local inspector though. I can see reason for it to be in the deck too, as that is where the wet, bare feet will actually be, to protect from stray currents from that property.

GerryB

Yeah, that's not very clear in 680.26(B)(2)(b)(5) for your situation, is it? Still, to reduce stray currents from other sources it seems that digging to secure the wire 5" below the subgrade may be best. Definitely something you want to discuss with the local inspector though. I can see reason for it to be in the deck too, as that is where the wet, bare feet will actually be, to protect from stray currents from that property.

Are you guys saying you have to bond a wooden deck somehow? I have to reinstall the ground wire for a customer that just had an existing pool replaced. We have always just gone around the pool and hit 5 or so stanchions,the ladder if metal. She does have a partial deck.

hwhj

pool/deck bonding

Are you guys saying you have to bond a wooden deck somehow? I have to reinstall the ground wire for a customer that just had an existing pool replaced. We have always just gone around the pool and hit 5 or so stanchions,the ladder if metal. She does have a partial deck.

The manual says the pool is 45"
I have spoken with 2 insps, the local insp says drill the deck joists 4" and run the 8 wire. I can't see where this would do any good running in free air between joists. Securing to the bottom of the deck would be better. The state insp says to dig because the deck may be removed and the bond would still be there. The local insp says don't listem to them.
The code says 4" below subgrade, so I would guess the deck surface would be grade, and the ground even though 45" away would be subgrade.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The Manual says 45"

I was in hopes your maximum water depth would be less than 42". save a bunch of problems.
Bond has been discussed here and elsewhere .. seemingly always with some disagreement.
One of those areas where you have to depend on YOUR AHJ I fear.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Drill the joists, run it in the ground, could this section get any worse? How many code revisions and TIA's must there be before someone finally gets it right. :slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.