Quading up PV Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Does anyone have a good definition why we shouldn't quad PV Breakers and they should be on their own designated circuit?

There is no good reason not to put solar on a quad breaker. Half of a quad breaker is a dedicated circuit breaker and a dedicated circuit. Whoever told you that this shouldn't be done is mistaken.

Zee

Does anyone have a good definition why we shouldn't quad PV Breakers and they should be on their own designated circuit?

I don't understand. Way too much going on in that single sentence, with not enough effort.

DO you mean you want an EXPLANATION why using a quad breaker means it cannot be a dedicated circuit?

jayzbond007

The only time you shouldn't have to use a quad breaker is when the main service panel or sub panel doesn't allow the use of quad breakers. This is usually noted on the panel label. The reason why you use a quad breaker is when the panel is full and you need to make space for your pv circuit. As for the pv breaker, it will have its own circuit. Quad breakers use both buses on the panel, so as long as you choose a quad that has a dedicated double pole breaker your pv system you will be okay. Hope this helps.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
The only time you shouldn't have to use a quad breaker is when the main service panel or sub panel doesn't allow the use of quad breakers.
Do you mean that is the only time when you shouldn't be able to use one?

PWDickerson

Occupation
Solar Contractor
It occurred to me recently that there may be a reason why a code inspector might not allow the use of a quad breaker to backfeed a PV system. Consider the case where the sum of the branch circuit breaker ratings exceeds the main breaker rating in the panel. This would trigger the 120% rule, which requires the PV breaker to be located opposite the main breaker. If the PV breaker is part of a quad, it seems like one could argue that it is not truly opposite the main. There will always be a branch circuit breaker that is further from the main than one of the PV breaker poles. I believe that this is not an issue because the branch circuit breakers and the PV breakers are using the same stab. Has this ever come up for anyone?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
... I believe that this is not an issue because the branch circuit breakers and the PV breakers are using the same stab. ...

I agree with that part. The two branch circuit breakers are in the same position on the panelboard as the two solar connections. Whether the solar is positioned on the outside or the inside within the quad is arbitrary from an electrical standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.