Electrical Estimating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone do me a solid, please?

I have an electrical contractor estimating the installation of 420 feet of 2 1/2" EMT high overhead with two scissor lifts (one man per lift). Looks like they intend to install and strap to unistrut. How many hours should I expect this to take?

They will then pull (3) runs of #3/0 thhn stranded 600 feet, and (1) run of #2 thhn stranded 600 feet. How long should I expect this to take?

I greatly appreciate any info you can offer . . .

Judd Brodie

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

I have an electrical contractor estimating the installation of 420 feet of 2 1/2" EMT high overhead with two scissor lifts (one man per lift). Looks like they intend to install and strap to unistrut. How many hours should I expect this to take?

They will then pull (3) runs of #3/0 thhn stranded 600 feet, and (1) run of #2 thhn stranded 600 feet. How long should I expect this to take?

Judd Brodie

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
The best time estimate would come from someone who is familiar with conditions at jobsite, for example the electrical contractor bidding the work?

Last edited:

ceb58

Judd Brodie
Really not enough info. How high, how many 90,45's. Open area or crap in the way. Are you not missing about 180 ft of conduit? I can say this when you get over 6 ft off of the ground your time starts all most double for every 6ft you go up. Are you questioning some ones bid?

cdslotz

So are you a GC that doesn't believe the hours you EC is quoting?

Tell us how many hours he submitted. We will tell you if he's in the ball park.

Daja7

Judd Brodie

It should take as long as your electrical contractor says it should take. If you don't like the price look for someone that will do it for less. Not as easy as it may seem to you.

James@CHA

Judd Brodie

RS Means cost data should give an idea of labor hours required. Whether it is realistic or not depends on the contractor, but you can at least get number our of it.

cdslotz

Truth is I can help this guy out and give him a price in a few minutes. Just another day in the office for me.

So could I. But why would you when he's trying to come to a site like this, get someone to bite on an estimate, so he can beat up his EC that's on his job?
Most GC's have a stable of EC's they use regularly. If I was on a job and priced a change order, and the GC went to one of his regulars (my competitor) to check my price, I would get a phone call from my competitor telling me he just got a call wanting this info. My competitor would protect me by doubling what I quoted.
That's why he's coming to a site like this for that info.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So could I. But why would you when he's trying to come to a site like this, get someone to bite on an estimate, so he can beat up his EC that's on his job?
Most GC's have a stable of EC's they use regularly. If I was on a job and priced a change order, and the GC went to one of his regulars (my competitor) to check my price, I would get a phone call from my competitor telling me he just got a call wanting this info. My competitor would protect me by doubling what I quoted.
That's why he's coming to a site like this for that info.
Agreed. We routinely have people try to drag us into the middle of change order pricing. "You're the engineer who designed it," they'll say. "Is this change order reasonable? It seems awfully high."

We smile and say we'll look into it, then start grumbling as soon as he's out of earshot. "How am I, as a desk jockey engineer, supposed to know how much the change is going to cost? And if you, Mr. Architect or Mr. Owner, think the change order is excessive, maybe you shouldn't have redesigned the entire job after it was bid."

Anyway, we dutifully go through the change order to see if there are any glaring errors (e.g. we added 10 branch circuits in 3/4" EMT but the CO includes 500' of 4" EMT). If we encounter anything, we give the EC a call to let him know. In my experience, 100% of the time the EC thanks us for catching it and re-issues a corrected change order. It's a professional courtesy, because that way the error gets fixed and the EC comes out looking like a stand-up guy who caught and corrected his mistake, rather than like a weasel who's trying to slip one past the client.

My boss has told me of a few experiences he had years ago when somebody started challenging the EC's price on everything. I'm sure you know the drill: "How can this cost $2000? It shouldn't take you more than half an hour. The total cost should be 250 bucks, tops." The EC shrugged, looked the guy right in the eye, and said, "If it's so easy, you do it for 250 bucks. But if my crew's doing it, it costs 2000." Of course, the critic backed down and the EC got his $2000 (which, as it happens, was a perfectly reasonable price for the work that was being done).

It has been my experience that arguing with a Contractor about how much labor is involved in an installation is a pointless endeavor. He does this sort of thing every day, and he knows what he's talking about. If his bid is too expensive, find somebody else who will do it for less. If nobody will do the job for what you want to pay, you need to consider the possibility that your expectations are just unrealistic. Go save up some more money and re-bid the job in a year.

Electrical Estimate

Electrical Estimate

Wow,

I have to admit that I did not expect you guys to be so offended.

It's true, I have an excessively high bid. I'm trying to determine what a fair and realistic price would be. I have an obligation to do this for my client.

Judd

So are you a GC that doesn't believe the hours you EC is quoting?

Tell us how many hours he submitted. We will tell you if he's in the ball park.

The electrical contractor is quoting 37 hours to install the 2 1/2" conduit, and 30 hours to install (3) 600 ft runs of #3/0 thhn, and 7 hours to install (1) #2 thhn.

I am a CA C-10 contractor (inactive) with no access to estimating programs. That is why I am asking for help.

Electrical estimating

Electrical estimating

Truth is I can help this guy out and give him a price in a few minutes. Just another day in the office for me.

I am a licensed CA C-10 contractor (inactive) with no access to estimating software. I have a client who wishes to have 2 1/2" EMT conduit installed 420 feet with unistrut. High up with two scissor lifts and one man on each lift. I realize there are many conditions which could be considered in deriving an estimate, but that is far more involved than I need.

He also needs to pull (3) runs of 3/0 thhn, 600 ft each, and (1) run of #2 thhn 600 ft.

I'm just looking for a very quick and loose estimate of how long this will take, so that I can give my boss a "general" estimate.

I appreciate your response.

Judd

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Wow,

I have to admit that I did not expect you guys to be so offended.

It's true, I have an excessively high bid. I'm trying to determine what a fair and realistic price would be. I have an obligation to do this for my client.

Judd
What makes you think it is excessively high? Without looking at it I would be in the 120 man hour range. It could go up or down after I looked at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.