Cord plug elevation (mounting height).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

We have in our plant several areas where equipment are often move around to facilitate flexible manufacturing. To make the electrical connections more flexible, the plant had elected to use flexible cords and receptacles hanging from the ceiling joists above. The receptacles are L6-30R and mounted at roughly 9' elevation. These receptacles are used in wet areas.

Is there a code requirement that these receptacles be at 8' or above floor? is it due to wet areas?

I thought the 8' was to provide actual guarding against accidental contact with live parts, but these are receptacles which really should be no difference that one would find 18-24" off the floor.

Lastly, do these need to be GFI? voltage is 480VAC.

Regards,

Francis Key

iwire

Staff member
You can put them any height you want. From sitting on the ground to up at the ceiling.

No GFCIs required for 480 volt branch circuits.

Thank you for your answer. I guess I am having issue interpreting this article

"Exception to (B)(2): In industrial establishments only,
where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure
that only qualified persons service the installation,
lengths exceeding 1.8 m (6 ft) shall be permitted between
the busway plug-in device and the tension take-up support
device where the cord or cable is supported at intervals not
exceeding 2.5 m (8 ft). "

Does this mean I can only have 8ft from the bus bar plug-in to the end of the plug/receptacle? The setup is bus bar to SOOW cord. This setup is used because we have moveable equipment. The ceiling height is 20'. Thus everytime we need to move the equipment, we have to access the plug via ladder which cause other safety issues. I want to lower the plug so we don't need to use ladder. Is this ok?

Thanks.

Francis.

WorkSafe

I think it implies that the cord shall not be unsupported along the roof support more than 8'. It's not talking about drop length.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Thank you for your answer. I guess I am having issue interpreting this article

"Exception to (B)(2): In industrial establishments only,
where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure
that only qualified persons service the installation,
lengths exceeding 1.8 m (6 ft) shall be permitted between
the busway plug-in device and the tension take-up support
device where the cord or cable is supported at intervals not
exceeding 2.5 m (8 ft). "

Does this mean I can only have 8ft from the bus bar plug-in to the end of the plug/receptacle? The setup is bus bar to SOOW cord. This setup is used because we have moveable equipment. The ceiling height is 20'. Thus everytime we need to move the equipment, we have to access the plug via ladder which cause other safety issues. I want to lower the plug so we don't need to use ladder. Is this ok?

Thanks.

Francis.

Where the cable leaves the busway at a maximum of 8 feet it must be supported. If the cord is 24' you would need to at least 4 supports connected to the building structure.

document.php

Thank you. I am not able to provide attachment to any building structure. These cords are in the middle of the plant nowhere close to a building column to be able to support the cord at 8' interval vertically. I guess lowering the plug to 6' elevation is not an option then.

I don't understand the intend of the 8' interval attachment to building (vertically not horizontally). I can see supporting horizontally to relief stress but vertically?

Francis

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Thank you. I am not able to provide attachment to any building structure. These cords are in the middle of the plant nowhere close to a building column to be able to support the cord at 8' interval vertically. I guess lowering the plug to 6' elevation is not an option then.

I don't understand the intend of the 8' interval attachment to building (vertically not horizontally). I can see supporting horizontally to relief stress but vertically?

Francis

How is your busway atached to the building? Provided you atach your cable with a strain relief within 8 feet from its point of atachment to the busway and drop vertically down to your equipment you would be compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.