Existing feeder conduit (EMT) does not contain ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpec

We are involved in the remodel of a condominium built in the 70's, at the time it was not required to pull a ground wire with the feeders if encased in metal pipe ( EMT ). More than 50% of the unit is being remodeled, requiring the need to replace the existing panel to accommodate arc fault breakers, The town is now asking that a ground be install with the feeder wire from the main located in the meter room ( 1st floor ) to the condominium. (3rd floor). The town has said that if the engineer supplies a letter stating that the conduit if sufficient enough, that this would be acceptable. The engineer has said they would supply the letter if we supplied testing documentation showing this. Has anyone else had this issue and how was it handled.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
What state are you in, and is there a local rule to mandate a separate equipment ground in EMT conduit? Here in WA, I think the state requires a separate EGC in EMT but only in wet areas. The NEC says EMT is a fine equipment ground all by itself and no separate wire is required.

JoeStillman

New Jersey will ask for a sealed letter from the engineer for any departures from the specs. That is why, even though the code doesn't require it, the engineer might be asked for a letter. I have had to do this on many jobs.

If I was asked for such a letter, I would also ask for the testing to prove that there is electrical continuity through the conduit. EMT fittings - especially the cast zinc, set-screw type - are notorious for coming apart over time.

cadpoint

If it's HC / Accessiable the rehab limit is as low as 20%, requiring (can I say everything) be brought up to Code.

If a general rehab. most Building Code and regional Codes ride at 40 - 50% if touched be brought up to Code.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.