Minimum Space encosure to lug..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

I was looking [I thought there was] for a table that indicates the minimum dimension form the termination lug to the enclosure wall based on the cable size and quantity per lug. For some reason I thought there was a minimum distance required. For example in a cable end tap box for busway is there a mimumum distance required from the lug to the enclosures where the conductors enter [straight pull no bends] I can only find section 312 that discusses minimum bending radius and the gutter size required. I thought there was a table that addressed this maybe not?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I was looking [I thought there was] for a table that indicates the minimum dimension form the termination lug to the enclosure wall based on the cable size and quantity per lug. For some reason I thought there was a minimum distance required. For example in a cable end tap box for busway is there a mimumum distance required from the lug to the enclosures where the conductors enter [straight pull no bends] I can only find section 312 that discusses minimum bending radius and the gutter size required. I thought there was a table that addressed this maybe not?
There is a standard, it is in UL-508A for industrial control panels, it is refered to as " wire bending space".

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

If I understand your question correctly, I believe Art. 312.6(B)(2) covers this, which will direct you to Table 312.6(B).

Mike01

312.6 Wire Bending??

312.6 Wire Bending??

312.6 refers to wire bending, however there are no bends in the cable it will enter the enclosure and then terminate on the lugs, it will not be entering and leaving the enclosure, or "bending" within the enclosure. Would this article still apply?

kwired

Electron manager
312.6 refers to wire bending, however there are no bends in the cable it will enter the enclosure and then terminate on the lugs, it will not be entering and leaving the enclosure, or "bending" within the enclosure. Would this article still apply?
Did you read the notes at the bottom of the table?

Unless you have lay-in or removable lugs, you would have to deflect the conductors somehow to enter the lug.

Status
Not open for further replies.