Article requiring pvc stubs through concrete slabs to be wrapped with poly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of the blue our local inspector is requiring all of our pvc conduits that are in contact with concrete to be wrapped. Is this a requirement of the latest code that I have missed?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
also designed to be the "target" of whirleybird concrete finishers. :D

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I'd tell the inspector that you don't go by the urban legend code and that you use only the NEC and any formally adopted local requirements.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm guessing that this inspector is mixing the plumbing and electrical codes. The plumbing code requires all pipes to be wrapped with foam or similar material where they are encased in concrete or penetrate a concrete slab.

kwired

Electron manager
also designed to be the "target" of whirleybird concrete finishers. :D
A practice I just recently started doing is to make your stubs end in a coupling about 1/4 inch below the surface of slab. Tape over coupling of course so it doesn't get filled, and then tape a nylon cable tie to the side of the coupling leaving the tail end of the tie sticking 3/4 to 1 inch above the concrete. Concrete finishers go right over it with no problems and when you come back later you have a little flag telling you where your conduit is.

lowryder88h

PVC

PVC

POCO has us wrap plastic (trash Bag) for concrete encased conduits when sweep cgoes up their poles (in the past) now we keep concrete 2' away from pole. But that has nothing to do with your specific inquiry. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.