Bending 3/4" rgs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I was 19 or 20 years old and weighed in at all of about 130 or 140, when my boss handed me two sticks of 1" RMC and a hickey and told me to just put a 90 in each one and poke it out of the footing.

I'm sure that most of you can guess the out come of that.:ashamed1:

GerryB

Depends on where you're running the RGS, if in a poured deck then I would use a hickey. Exposed, a 555 or equivalent. And always few factory 90's for tight spots.

As a young apprentice the mechanics handed me a 1" hickey and told me to make a bend, then watched and had a great laugh at my expense. (how about that 1 1/4 inch bender wiyth the foot pedal on it? Whew)

mstrlucky74

"Steel conduit" usually refers to RGS, but it can get confusing because EMT is often referred to as "conduit" also, and is often made from steel (although I've seen aluminum EMT too). I can only speak for myself, but when I see/hear "steel conduit" I always assume RGS unless I know for sure that we're really talking about EMT.

Thanks and I appreciate the clarification. So EMT is made from steel as you say?

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Most of it is. There is some new stuff on the market made from leftover proteins and fibres from ethanol refineries.
There's also aluminum EMT. I've never seen it in real life (our major client requires steel), but I've seen it in catalogs from the conduit manufacturers.

mstrlucky74

Ok I amy be beating a dead horse but most people here have said EMT is made from steel but when they see "steel conduit" written they assume RGS. Isn't that cantradictory?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Ok I amy be beating a dead horse but most people here have said EMT is made from steel but when they see "steel conduit" written they assume RGS. Isn't that cantradictory?
EMT is made from steel and is commonly referred to a conduit. In the NEC EMT is called tubing. It does the same thing as conduit. It may be what someone wants when they say steel conduit, but it may not. The requester may want ridgid or IMC.

John120/240

Hasn't somebody, ken480 maybe posted a slang dictionary before ? Could it be a permanent post for green guys to refer too ?
  • round house, full boat: 3 PH MWBC black, red,blue, white
  • cow boy, mini made by Minerlac Co; pipe hanger
  • conduit, pipe, Rigid, IMC, EMT, PVC: all refer to circular products usually 10 feet in length, some times 20 feet
  • the list goes on

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hasn't somebody, ken480 maybe posted a slang dictionary before ? Could it be a permanent post for green guys to refer too ?
  • round house, full boat: 3 PH MWBC black, red,blue, white
  • cow boy, mini made by Minerlac Co; pipe hanger
  • conduit, pipe, Rigid, IMC, EMT, PVC: all refer to circular products usually 10 feet in length, some times 20 feet
  • the list goes on

the problem is, the list has regional distinctions.

greenfield, smurf tube, battleships, there are a thousand
different dialects of sparky speak, and half a dozen
geographically diverse words for the same piece of
material, or equipment. enough so that experienced
electricians from different regions sometimes have to use
subtitles when communicating what they want.

the problem is, the OP doesn't have first hand experience
with a lot of this stuff, so extreme clarification is sometimes
necessary. we have spent a number of pages of posts trying
to explain the difference between thinwall conduit, and GRC.

to which there have been comebacks of..... "but isn't it metal, too?"
or words to that effect.

as the OP seems to be in an estimating capacity in his place
of employment, rather than argue about the differences in
labor between EMT and GRC, he should simply bid everything
requiring conduit, with EMT labor units.

then, the first time the specifications require him to use GRC
when he bid it as EMT, the resulting loss of working capital,
perhaps even resulting in the loss of the company,
and resulting beatings from principals in the company, will
impress upon him the exact difference between the two raceway
systems with far more clarity and permanence than anything
we can say here.

i'll bet a cheeseburger that he never forgets the difference again.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
i find it personally disturbing you are including McDork in the realm of food.

no debate is possible. sorry. threadjacking duly noted.
:):)

As much as they sell, someone must be calling it food. But even outside fast food there are cheeseburgers, and there are really good cheeseburgers, I just didn't want you to go cheap on us if you ended up owing anyone a cheeseburger:)

Fulthrotl

:):)

As much as they sell, someone must be calling it food. But even outside fast food there are cheeseburgers, and there are really good cheeseburgers, I just didn't want you to go cheap on us if you ended up owing anyone a cheeseburger:)

slater's 50/50.

50% prime ground beef
50% smoked bacon
50% guacamole
50% cheese
50% fried egg on top
50% chance of defib needed

available in huntington beach. delivery not included.

with a milkshake.....

SIGNATURE MILKSHAKES
Milk Chocolate Guinness?

Vanilla ice cream, Andes mints?, Guinness Irish Stout and drizzle of chocolate syrup.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
slater's 50/50.

50% prime ground beef
50% smoked bacon
50% guacamole
50% cheese
50% fried egg on top
50% chance of defib needed

available in huntington beach. delivery not included.

with a milkshake.....

SIGNATURE MILKSHAKES
Milk Chocolate Guinness?

Vanilla ice cream, Andes mints?, Guinness Irish Stout and drizzle of chocolate syrup.
The ingredients add up to more than 100%:cool: But I can tell you you better get the defib ready, I may need it just looking at it.

Blaer

Wasn't thinking of this thread today, when I had to run two circuits in 3/4" RMC. Total of 11 90's and one saddle.

I didn't even consider, not even for a moment, using anything but my hand bender.

John120/240

Wasn't thinking of this thread today, when I had to run two circuits in 3/4" RMC. Total of 11 90's and one saddle.

I didn't even consider, not even for a moment, using anything but my hand bender.

11 90's thats almost three complete circles. Are there any pull points in this run ?

patbet

3/4 rigid

3/4 rigid

In my opinion it gepends on the skill of the bender.If your guy is good enough to bend the the 90s without having to cut and thread each time or use an expensive threadless coupling. then bending is the way to go. My guys almost always bend 3/4 and then either thread for the box or use a threadless connector.

masterinbama

In my opinion it gepends on the skill of the bender.If your guy is good enough to bend the the 90s without having to cut and thread each time or use an expensive threadless coupling. then bending is the way to go. My guys almost always bend 3/4 and then either thread for the box or use a threadless connector.

90's grow and offsets shrink. A true crafstman will figure out by how much so he can cut and thread his conduit before it is bent and have it fit like a glove.

Fulthrotl

90's grow and offsets shrink. A true crafstman will figure out by how much so he can cut and thread his conduit before it is bent and have it fit like a glove.

if the craftsman doesn't have his hand in this a lot,
working out the developed length, cutting
and threading, then bending isn't going to go well.
i've seen and worked with folk like this, and if they
haven't done it in a while, they get rusty, even if they are good.

a little power hand threader means bend, cut, and
thread can apply, and it usually goes pretty quickly.
no threadless, no ericsons, just pipe up in the air.

masterinbama

if the craftsman doesn't have his hand in this a lot,
working out the developed length, cutting
and threading, then bending isn't going to go well.
i've seen and worked with folk like this, and if they
haven't done it in a while, they get rusty, even if they are good.

a little power hand threader means bend, cut, and
thread can apply, and it usually goes pretty quickly.
no threadless, no ericsons, just pipe up in the air.

I'll still take threading with my 300 or 1224 machine over the slow as Christmas power pony any day.

What's so hard about remembering that 3/4 90's grow 3- 3/8" on most chicago style benders and 30 degree offsets shrink 1/4" per 1" of offset? We already have to remember takeup and thread length, what's 2 more numbers.

If you learn to do this on the smaller sizes it really saves on the 2-1/2" and larger sizes. Whenever you don't have to drag out the hoghead and driveshaft you're ahead of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.