Conduit Support accrross 30 feet street

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely.

30 feet of messenger supported AL is a walk in the park. A one person job. All the other suggestions are projects, not just simple jobs.

I strung nearly 30 feet of it from my house to my garage. Making up the connections took longer than getting the cable in the air. Most people don't realize how light the stuff is.

....and I made this suggestion about 5 days ago?!

Blaer

Simple. Ever see a suspension bridge?

Steel cable above the pipe, attached to buildings on either side. Drop support wires from the cable to the pipe; adjust turnbuckles until level.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Simple. Ever see a suspension bridge?

Steel cable above the pipe, attached to buildings on either side. Drop support wires from the cable to the pipe; adjust turnbuckles until level.

Take bets on which building the support anchors will fail on as you tighten the turnbuckles... :eek:hmy:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It's interesting to condense the responses into one post.

Mostly cut and paste from this thread.

---------------------------

Put a girder across the street
---
run a steel cable and use that to support 30+ ft. of seal tight
---
bore under the street and run underground
---
supports on the structures on each side and span the road with a pair or bar joists with stiffeners between the joists to prevent twisting
---
lash PVC conduit to a support cable
---
running a steel cable and supporting a cable of some sort off it. maybe MC
---
ACSR quad the change over to a "conventional" wiring method at each end.
---
Deep v bar across the coupling (top of pipe).... two cowboys (conduit hangers) on each length before and after the coupling. Eye hook on v bar..........guy line from eye hook to building. building on left down to left coupling splint...building on right down to right coupling splint
---
CLX for the entire run with messenger support of the span
---
cable tray.
---
installing a beam for conduit support
---
Stainless steel hose clamps would hold it nicely to that pipe. No pentrations, easy install, easy servicing if ever necessary
---
Why not bore under the roadway and avoid all of the pitfalls of routing overhead including wind/weather and traffic/vehicle damage?
---
You can just use all thread and uni-strut and straps and make the mounting look like every thing else in an industrial plant.
---
---
How about simple, messenger supported multiconductor cable?

------------

I'll have to admit, some of you folks are pretty creative!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.