Pad Mounted Transformer Work Clearance 110.34(A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec_eng

Customer owned pad-mounted transformer.2500KVA, 15kV/277-480V. This transformer is deadfront construction with loadbreak elbows at the front. No live part present in the transformer. Does the table 110.34(A) still apply?

110.34(A) reads:
? Equipment likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall clear working space in the direction of access to live parts the electrical equipment and shall not be less than specified in Table 110.34(A).?

Typically, we?ve been provided 5 ft around a transformer for maintenance purpose not to meet this requirement. But this has been brought up during the code review.

barclayd

You need enough room in front to operate a hot stick - 5' is a bit tight.
There are some fire codes that require pad-mount transformers to be a certain distance from a building.
db

templdl

There are some fire codes that require pad-mount transformers to be a certain distance from a building.
db

And plenty of egress room to bail out should something catastrophic happen. I think it's important to know what your escape route is going to be should you have to take it. If you feel that any escape route maybe constricted than you're comfortable with the there should be more consideration made. PPE of course is imperative but would that be enough should your ability to remove yourself expediently is impeded. This should be common sense for the tech doing the work.
Of course consult the manufacturer's instructions for other clearance requirements.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
And plenty of egress room to bail out should something catastrophic happen. I think it's important to know what your escape route is going to be should you have to take it. If you feel that any escape route maybe constricted than you're comfortable with the there should be more consideration made. PPE of course is imperative but would that be enough should your ability to remove yourself expediently is impeded. This should be common sense for the tech doing the work.
Of course consult the manufacturer's instructions for other clearance requirements.

...that's actually a key point, because the clearances may exceed what is required!!

elec_eng

db

Tha's true. I've seen various length of hot stick before but never thought of that. The trasnformer is FR3 so, there is no fire code issue. Are you saying other than the maitenance issue, there is no code violation? 110.34(A) doesn't apply?

barclayd

Tha's true. I've seen various length of hot stick before but never thought of that. The trasnformer is FR3 so, there is no fire code issue. Are you saying other than the maitenance issue, there is no code violation? 110.34(A) doesn't apply?

If it is "Condition I" per Table 110.34(A), 5' would be compliant. BUT - the first time an electrician tried to pull those elbows, he would want to do things to you that his hot stick was never designed for.
db

Status
Not open for further replies.