working spaces someone help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
110.26 A1 gives you the distances in front of the equipment correct? Then 110.26 A2 is the distance left or right of the equipment correct? My question is about side clearances... From how i interpret 110.26 A2 is that you could stick a meter socket (for example) in a corner as long as you have 30" or width of meter socket if larger. And that the door could open 90 degrees. Or stick it right next to a fence ect. you just need clearance on that one side correct?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
To comply with the working space width requirements the equipment is not required to be in the middle of the working space.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I post this from time to time when this question comes up. If you install the panel and you could put a box, that a refridgerator came out of, in front of it, then the installation would comply.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's John's box, from the NECH. :)

workingspace.jpg

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I still don't understand why the depth matters,:? ...... you still need minimum 36" in front of it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Like Don said the depth dimension is absent from the graphic because it changes based on a variety of factors. As stated the minimum is 36".

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I still don't understand why the depth matters,:? ...... you still need minimum 36" in front of it.

That's what he was asking, why they left that measurement out of the drawing. The "side view" image was the front depth he was referring to.

Like Don said the depth dimension is absent from the graphic because it changes based on a variety of factors. As stated the minimum is 36".

I understand that, I was only responding to edward's question.

kwired

Electron manager
I post this from time to time when this question comes up. If you install the panel and you could put a box, that a refridgerator came out of, in front of it, then the installation would comply.
If you can place that box there it is compliant, if you actually do place the box there you have a violation:happyyes:

OK. Guess I'll have to look it up...thought it was 36 inches. Maybe because I'm pretty much a residential guy.

Look at table 110.26(A)(1). Minimum is never less than 36 inches as mentioned, but can be 48 inches if over 150 volts to ground and exposed live parts are on both sides of the working space. If handbook were to mention depth in the drawing, it would be best to somehow incorporate all the conditions and dimensions in the drawing, or someone will easily interpret it wrong.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you can place that box there it is compliant, if you actually do place the box there you have a violation:happyyes: ...
Not yet...I think that will be in the 2014 code, but right now there is nothing in the NEC that really covers things being stored in the workspace.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Not yet...I think that will be in the 2014 code, but right now there is nothing in the NEC that really covers things being stored in the workspace.

But OSHA

1910.303(g)(1)(ii)

Working space required by this standard may not be used for storage. When normally enclosed live parts are exposed for inspection or servicing, the working space, if in a passageway or general open space, shall be suitably guarded.

IFC

605.3 Working space and clearance. A working space of not less than 30 inches (762 mm) in width, 36 inches (914 mm) in depth and 78 inches (1981 mm) in height shall be provided in front of electrical service equipment. Where the electrical service equipment is wider than 30 inches (762 mm), the working space shall not be less than the width of the equipment. No storage of any materials shall be located within the designated working space.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.