GFCI will not reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

RusticKris

This has got me confused. Customer has GFCI receptacle that I installed on his porch of sun room addition. When first installed, the receptacle functioned correctly. A few months later, it was tripped and would not reset. I replaced the receptacle and again it functioned correctly. A year later, it is tripped and will not reset. It is not known how long it has been tripped, it has never been used. There is only one other receptacle connected to it, but it is connected to the line side. So there is absolutely no load on it. The only thing I can find out of kilter, is that there is a bonding issue at the breaker panel, but I would not think this would effect the GFCI. Any help is appreciated.

Kris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
One very common culprit is a neutral and ground touching at the downstream device. It seems at times they are infinitely close and any disturbance they touch and trip.

kwired

Electron manager
One very common culprit is a neutral and ground touching at the downstream device. It seems at times they are infinitely close and any disturbance they touch and trip.
I don't think there is a downstream device based on what was said in the OP.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Biggest problem for me were those cheap Chinese gf I's I thought I was so clever when I bought

Other than that thunderstorms seem to tend to take them out?

hwhj

Just asking

Just asking

If for sure there are no wires tied to the load side of the GFCI and there is no possible way the recept could move, or anything getting into the box or device then are you sure that whatever the device that is plugged into the GFCI (when you are not there) is good? In short who discovers the nonfunctioning device first and how. Sometimes we don't get the whole story.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
What brand GFCI do you use? non branded made over seas, or good brand like Pass&Seymour?

Also, could it be getting damaged by surges or lighting?

Also, as hwhj said, you may not be getting the whole story.

RusticKris

I guess I will just have to go back and check all the connections leading to it. Before I did that, I wanted to make sure it wasn't related the incorrect bonding.

As far as brand of receptacle, I believe its Leviton.

Thanks for the input.

gar

Occupation
EE
130805-2133 EDT

If the GFCI is a relatively new model Leviton, last 5 years and possibly more, then if the supply is wired to the output instead of the input, then it can not be reset.

You do not need to check input wiring, just check the voltage at the input terminals of the GFCI, if 120 is there, then a good GFCI will reset.

An easy test on the GFCI is to remove it from the circuit, connect a 2 wire cord to the GFCI input, apply 120 V to the cord, and try to do a reset. If it won't reset take it back to the supplier, and get a replacement. Test the replacement at the supplier. New GFCIs are shipped in the tripped state with tape across the output terminals. But if you remove the tape and apply 120 V to the output terminals, then you can not reset the GFCI. Only if power is applied to the input terminals can the GFCI be reset. This is by design.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would think a defective receptacle too, but this is the third one. I'm going to replace it again and wire the old into its very own circuit to test.

If you have been using the same brand (assuming you're the one that changed them) I would try a different brand. I haven't had any problems with P&S GFCIs.

Edit: I went back and read your OP and see that you are the one who has been installing them.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The service is a MWB , a bad neutral at the service could cause this too. Lightning and bad or lack of bonding too.

I was thinking more in the line of a broken/loose branch circuit neutral.
People rarely think about the service being a MWBC, but you're right, it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.