Landscape wire used on LV lights inside house, Yes or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I keep seeing contractors install "landscape" listed wire inside houses for LV lighting. I say it's not listed for use inside the house, but what about for low volt, low energy LED lights ?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would say its acceptacle if using a Class 2 power supply. If its not a Class 2 supply you would need to use a Chapter 3 wiring method.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Is this run in the walls or exposed? I'm not sure if that even matters though (for speaker wiring they will advertise it as "in wall" if it is CL2 listed). I would think you would need CL2 rated wire for a LV light. The outdoor stuff generally isn't CL2 rated (it probably isn't fireproof). I believe the reason to say no would be for the same reason you can't use USE type cable inside a building.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
It's not CL2 listed, it is "under ground" listed only. in the walls and in the crawl space.

It's not CL2 listed, it is "under ground" listed only. in the walls and in the crawl space.

It should be cl2 or cl3 rated cable. Most people, even inspectors, seem to think you can do whatever you want if its "low voltage" Ive been doing this job in Seattle with a ton of in wall speaker, audio/ video/ and low voltage lighting and I made sure to use all CL3 cable to cover my butt. They are pretty on top of things here in Seattle but they never even looked at any of the low voltage stuff.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Outdoor landscape wire is not listed for indoors. It does not have a vertical flame rating and cannot enter the structure.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I thought I remembered seeing a CL2 rating on some of the landscape lighting wire but after looking at a few spec sheets I don't see any with that listing now.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I thought I remembered seeing a CL2 rating on some of the landscape lighting wire but after looking at a few spec sheets I don't see any with that listing now.
Some Southwire cable is dual listed with a Canadian rating which os more general than landscape, but still does not allow indoor use in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.