GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
How would check the GFCI IN A HOME with on ecg.
Is there more to the question that you are holding back?

Otherwise test button on any GFCI should be sufficient for testing functionality of the GFCI protection, pressing the test button does place an unbalanced current through the sensing coil that is of sufficient magnitude to make it trip even if there is no EGC.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
GFCI

A gfci receptacle with a test button will not trip the gfci when you push it if their is on EGC.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
A gfci receptacle with a test button will not trip the gfci when you push it if their is on EGC.

Yes it will. I just tried mine.

The test button is the only approved way to test the GFCI.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
GFCI

I STAND CORRECTED ,what i was talking about was a down the line receptacle with no egc.and to plug in a gfci tester would not work,

iwire

Staff member
I STAND CORRECTED ,what i was talking about was a down the line receptacle with no egc.and to plug in a gfci tester would not work,

That is correct.

Go push the test button on the up stream GFCI and then verify the power went out at the down stream receptacle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you have a solenoid type tester you can test from the hot leg to a grounded object like a water pipe or metal faucet. That would generate enough current flow to trip the GFCI.

iwire

Staff member
If you have a solenoid type tester you can test from the hot leg to a grounded object like a water pipe or metal faucet. That would generate enough current flow to trip the GFCI.

For sure and I have done that but it is not recognized as a real test.

kwired

Electron manager

The GFCI test button places a high enough load to trip the device (if working properly) between one line side conductor and the opposing load side conductor. This will result in unbalanced current in the sensing coil to make it trip. This is reason it will trip with no EGC present. Plug in type testers have to place the load between the hot and EGC by design, and if there is no EGC there will be no current to make it trip. Anything connected to the unbonded EGC terminal of the receptacle will be energized during the test though, and will get your attention in a situation like if you were touching a metallic weatherproof cover on the receptacle being tested but no EGC is present.

Status
Not open for further replies.