MC to emt transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
With the availibilty of the EMT/MC fittings IMO some will argue that the conn/coupling/conn method is not code compliant.

Volta

Myself, I would wonder if the conductors are still part of the MC cable at that point (I doubt it), and then, if they are labeled every 24" to comply with 310.120(B)(1), or if they need to be to be used as single conductors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Myself, I would wonder if the conductors are still part of the MC cable at that point (I doubt it), and then, if they are labeled every 24" to comply with 310.120(B)(1), or if they need to be to be used as single conductors.

Some would argue that the conductors within the raceway require surface marking due to the section you've posted. There are some manufacturers who use marked conductors within MC cable.

iwire

Staff member
In my opinion 310.120(B)(1) is a construction requirement not an installation requirement.

If it is applied as a installation requirement we could not strip more than 24" of NM to enter a panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You might be right, but how would an inspector know if the sparky stripped out 10' of conductor from NM cable to install in LFMC to an AC unit?

norcal

You might be right, but how would an inspector know if the sparky stripped out 10' of conductor from NM cable to install in LFMC to an AC unit?

If it's a 2 conductor NM cable you have the issue of a white conductor in the sealtite, so if a inspector opened up the disco, would have to be blind not to notice.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it's a 2 conductor NM cable you have the issue of a white conductor in the sealtite, so if a inspector opened up the disco, would have to be blind not to notice.

You could use two black conductors and forget the white. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.