National Electric Safety Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I believe utilities go by this standard. However, we have a project which includes a Distribution Substation. i.e. typically something that falls into the realm of utilities but in this case is owned by our client. The substation is 34.5kV to 4160V. I realize that we'll need to apply the NEC, but should I be cross referencing this document for any more stringent requirements or for information that may simply not be covered by the NEC?

Thanks,

Mike

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
I think the NEC-is mandatory in Control Room, Cable Spreading Room and other auxiliary facilities as HVAC Rooms, Emergency Diesel Generator , Transformer Rooms and LV rooms.
See NEC ARTICLE 110 Requirements for Electrical Installations.
For High Voltage and medium voltage it could be interesting:
ARTICLE 110 Requirements for Electrical Installations part III. Over 600 Volts.
Cable ampacity -since NEC states rules up to 35 kV.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think the NEC-is mandatory in Control Room, Cable Spreading Room and other auxiliary facilities as HVAC Rooms, Emergency Diesel Generator , Transformer Rooms and LV rooms.
See NEC ARTICLE 110 Requirements for Electrical Installations.
For High Voltage and medium voltage it could be interesting:
ARTICLE 110 Requirements for Electrical Installations part III. Over 600 Volts.
Cable ampacity -since NEC states rules up to 35 kV.

The NEC is only mandatory when a state legislature or other governing body passes a law making it so. A lot of utility facilities are more or less exempt by law from such things in many places, despite what the NEC says.

JoeStillman

If the NESC is not the code to follow for High Voltage work, then what is?

In the absence of any legally required code or enforcement authority, you would do well to follow a nationally recognized standard voluntarily. If something goes wrong, you will be in a much better position to defend yourself.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While the installation is covered by the rules in the NEC, that document does not do a very good job covering those types of installations. I would be looking to use the NESC for the things that are not well covered in the NEC. Also as the design professional, you are free to require things over and above what is required by the NEC, and in this case, I think you are ethically required to do so.

topgone

If the NESC is not the code to follow for High Voltage work, then what is?

In the absence of any legally required code or enforcement authority, you would do well to follow a nationally recognized standard voluntarily. If something goes wrong, you will be in a much better position to defend yourself.

IDK if I missed what scope the NESC was intended to cover but I believe NESC is not a design standard! OSHA 1910 Subpart S is!(installation and utilization design)

OSHA sometimes cite provisions from NESC, NEC, etc. and therefore makes some provisions of those codes as design standards. As posted by the person ahead of me, whenever a state enacts laws adopting any standard, that adopted code gets to have the effect of a law, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.