Co in New Jersey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Do I need a 110 volt co detector in a home on a level without a bedroom ? Does the CO detector have to be within 10 ft of a bedroom of just 1 on bedroom level

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Not sure of jersey but here we must have a CO detector on any level that has a bedroom. It can be either battery or direct wired with battery backup depending if the walls were open or not.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Do I need a 110 volt co detector in a home on a level without a bedroom ? Does the CO detector have to be within 10 ft of a bedroom of just 1 on bedroom level

For new construction, yes, one per level (but not the attic, unless the furnace is in the attic) plus all the additional requirements for sleeping areas.

If this is an older existing home, you can use single station battery-only detectors but the location requirements are the same.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Do you have a code section that requires a CO detector in an attic? If that from NFPA72?

gadfly56

Occupation
Do you have a code section that requires a CO detector in an attic? If that from NFPA72?

It's possible I'm hashing together pieces of the IBC and IMC, but I recollect that you need a CO detector in the vicinity of a fuel-burning appliance. I'm away from my copies of the codes but I'll see if I can clarify in the morning.

RICK NAPIER

No. There is no distance listed in the code section you just follow manufacturers listing and labeling. Below is the code section it is also in the Rehab Code making it a requirement no matter what work is done.

UCC 5:23-3.20
(c) Single station carbon monoxide alarms shall be installed and maintained in full operating
condition in the immediate vicinity of each sleeping area in any guestroom or dwelling unit
located in a building of Group I-1, R-1, R-2, R-3, R-4, or R-5, if the building contains a fuelburning appliance or has an attached garage. An "open parking structure," as defined in the
building subcode, shall not be deemed to be an attached garage.

1. Exceptions: Guestrooms or dwelling units which do not themselves contain a fuel-burning
appliance or have an attached garage, but which are located in a building with a fuel-burning
appliance or an attached garage, need not be provided with single station carbon monoxide
alarms provided that:

i. The guestroom or dwelling unit is located more than one story above or below any story
which contains a fuel-burning appliance or an attached garage; the guestroom or dwelling unit is
not connected by duct work or ventilation shafts to any room containing a fuel-burning appliance
or to an attached garage; and the building is provided with a common area carbon monoxide
alarm system. The individual alarms shall be located in every room adjacent to the room(s)
containing a fuel-burning appliance, and in every corridor, hall or lobby adjacent to such room(s) and in the immediate vicinity of any ventilated shaft, including, but not limited to, stair shafts,
elevator shafts, ventilation shafts on the story containing the fuel-burning appliance and any
story within two stories above or below said story. All such common area alarm devices shall be
connected to an alarm monitoring station or shall be interconnected; or

ii. The building is provided with a monitored carbon monoxide alarm system. Individual
alarms shall be located in every room containing a fuel-burning appliance. All such alarms shall
be connected to an alarm monitoring station that shall be staffed at all times by a person who is
trained and qualified to respond so as to protect the health and safety of building occupants in
the event of the activation of one or more alarms. Carbon monoxide alarms and fire alarms may
be incorporated into a common monitored system.

2. Carbon monoxide alarms shall be manufactured, listed and labeled in accordance with UL
2034 and shall be installed in accordance with the requirements of this section and NFPA 720.
Carbon monoxide alarms shall be battery operated, hard-wired or of the plug-in type.

gadfly56

Occupation
Is there any requirement for a CO detector in an attic?

I checked around my code books after Rick's post and he is correct, in NJ there is nothing about CO detection on floors other than the sleeping area. I was confusing it with a section that allows monitored CO detection next to fuel burning appliances in lieu of single station per ii in Rick's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.