GFCI will not reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
RusticKris,
A couple of people have questioned if you really have 120VAc to the receptacle in question. I missed where you stated the measured voltage? ( preferably under some load)

The GFCI does a test, to see if it can trip, when you push reset. The success of this test is dependent upon the line voltage level at the time.
( test is also depended on whether there is leakage on the load but you seem to have eliminated this since there is no downstream load)

I tested this function on a Leviton GFCI a while back. Results will vary some from device to device but in the one I tested anything below 108V started to get erratic.
At a 100-108V the reset button chattered a bit as it was reset , but did reset. At 95V it struggled to reset. Anything below 90V and it would fail completely.

Assuming you do measure a supply above 108V ( under load) does the unit chatter excessively as you attempt to reset it?

Your test results, on a separate line cord, will be helpful.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I generally use Leviton. I too have seen some chatter on reset. Will check actual voltage next time.

kwired

Electron manager
I was thinking more in the line of a broken/loose branch circuit neutral.
People rarely think about the service being a MWBC, but you're right, it is.

The service is not a multiwire branch circuit, it is just a multiwire circuit, same with feeders. Unless you have a two wire service or feeder, or an ungrounded or corner grounded delta system.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The service is not a multiwire branch circuit, it is just a multiwire circuit, same with feeders. Unless you have a two wire service or feeder, or an ungrounded or corner grounded delta system.

MWC, but you knew what I meant.:slaphead:

It is a branch off of the utility service though.:p

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Got to thinking and remembered similiar problem, changed out rarely used GFCI recep, 2 weeks later new one failed.

Turned out to be full of little bitty ants, probably what got the first one.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Got to thinking and remembered similiar problem, changed out rarely used GFCI recep, 2 weeks later new one failed.

Turned out to be full of little bitty ants, probably what got the first one.
Happened to me too in a mobile home kitchen. Once the ants had been killed off and the ones inside the GFCI had dried up it started working again, but I replaced it anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.