Company electricians placement test

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSXR600

Hi
The company I work for is putting together a test to test new employees tech skills. I wanted to try and get some questions from you guys that may be beneficial to ask.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I thought you would have had a ton of responses by now.

I don't have any specific questions, but my suggestion would be to keep it simple. I think you may be supprised how hard it is to find applicants that can answer even basic questions.

Simple questions designed to see if the applicant understands things like the different between voltage and current, ohms law, power formula, etc. But it also depends a lot on exactly what the job description is,

One other suggestion: Please make sure the questions have one and only one right answer. We see a lot of test questions posted here that are either incorrect, or every one assumes something slightly different (which gives different answers), or the question has important information left out.

Hi
The company I work for is putting together a test to test new employees tech skills. I wanted to try and get some questions from you guys that may be beneficial to ask.
  • Theorethical
  • Practical
  • NEC.
There are testing companies that have canned tests available. A minium outline should be provided to the employees as to waht will be asked. You may want to see if your local Community College offers some refresher courses in the field.

hmspe

Occupation
PE
The two best test questions I know of are:

1. List five of the six general requirements for paralleling conductors.

I've been on several interview panels for hiring inspectors an no one has ever had a correct answer.

2. How do you test the impedance of a ground rod?

jeremysterling

I like the three-phase motor windings high-voltage and low-voltage hook-up connect the dots question. (Full disclosure: When my boss graded the test he let me know all the magic smoke had left my motor.)

Also, draw the three-phase across-the-line motor-starter with O/L and start-stop station.

Maybe some trick questions about pipe bending!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
One of my favorites that many get wrong is:

The insulation of the Grounded conductor shall be _________ in color.

A. Green
B. White
C. Black
D. None of the above

Also, if you are going just out of the NEC is it an open or a closed book test. Even many inspectors don't remember all of the numbers, but know where to find them. And never trust a guy who says he remembers all the numbers.

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The two best test questions I know of are:

1. List five of the six general requirements for paralleling conductors.

I've been on several interview panels for hiring inspectors an no one has ever had a correct answer.

2. How do you test the impedance of a ground rod?

I really have to wonder, if nobody has ever been able to answer it, is it really a good test question? I mean its a great "stump the engineer or inspector" type question. But if you are going to use it to screen job applicants, at least give partial credit for getting some of them right, or for having some vauge idea that things like the same length and same size are important.

I've already named two - I guess I might as well see if I pass or fail:

1. Equal to or larger than 1/0 (unless an exception is met)
2. Same conductor size.
3. Same length.
4. Same conduit characteristics (same conduit size and routing).
5. Same conductor material.

I can't think of #6, unless #4 should be counted as 2.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
One of my favorites that many get wrong is:

The Grounded conductor shall be _________ in color.

A. Green
B. White
C. Black
D. None of the above
That one's got to be "D" -- I've never seen copper or aluminum that was any of those colors. Well, I have seen green copper, but I don't think it would make a very low resistance connection without being cleaned up until it's no longer green.

Now, if the question had asked about the conductor's outer covering, it would be a different story ... :D

cowboyjwc

Staff member
That one's got to be "D" -- I've never seen copper or aluminum that was any of those colors. Well, I have seen green copper, but I don't think it would make a very low resistance connection without being cleaned up until it's no longer green.

Now, if the question had asked about the conductor's outer covering, it would be a different story ... :D

I was half way through your answer when the light bulb went off.:D Fixed it.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I really have to wonder, if nobody has ever been able to answer it, is it really a good test question? I mean its a great "stump the engineer or inspector" type question. But if you are going to use it to screen job applicants, at least give partial credit for getting some of them right, or for having some vauge idea that things like the same length and same size are important.

I've already named two - I guess I might as well see if I pass or fail:

1. Equal to or larger than 1/0 (unless an exception is met)
2. Same conductor size.
3. Same length.
4. Same conduit characteristics (same conduit size and routing).
5. Same conductor material.

I can't think of #6, unless #4 should be counted as 2.

One phase of each phase in each conduit.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
True or false:
A molded case circuit breaker can be cleaned with soap and water.

hmspe

Occupation
PE

What the author was looking for (2011):

310.10(H)(1) only in sizes 1/0 AWG and larger

310.10(H)(2):
(1) Be the same length
(2) Consist of the same conductor material
(3) Be the same size in circular mil area
(4) Have the same insulation type
(5) Be terminated in the same manner

This was one of about 20 questions, of which I think 3 were technical and the rest were "tell us about a time when...". I thought it gave a lot more insight into the level of knowledge and personal style of the interviewee than the behavioral questions did.

__dan

Two questions I would want to see a guy answer for himself:

Given a drawing of a delta-Y transformer, draw the grounding connections required at the secondary of the transformer. Bonus for citing the code reference (250.30).

Essay question, explain the difference between kVA and kW, explain what is power factor (not the math formula, the underlying physical reality). Give an application example, when to use kW or kVA.

I would think the guy who is solid on both of those, knows his stuff.

You can also test to see if a guy can do math in his head, what is 32 x 32 without using paper or calculator.

brian john

Depends on what the employee is going to do, slinging MC and installing 2x4's
Can you wire a 3-way?

Fire LAlarms

PLC's

Trouble shooting

just depends.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Depends on what the employee is going to do, slinging MC and installing 2x4's
Can you wire a 3-way?

Fire LAlarms

PLC's

Trouble shooting

just depends.

the type of work the contractor bids is a major requirement, because it may invole a specialty that few know how to install, vesda FA sys. as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.