GFCI circuit for pool lights trip when turned OFF ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Corso

Gar...

Thank you for reminding me of a second probable cause of Ritelec's problem... contact-bounce associated with the interface relay! But, before addressing that phenomenon, I would like to hear about his progess with the test for "Ferroresonance induced transients!"

Regarding your dissertation about energy dissipation and the like, I suggest you first look at the simple transient, i.e., the L-C circuit! I remind you that there are two in Ritelec's situation!

Phil

gar

Occupation
EE
130809-0841 EDT

Phil Corso:

Where are these two LC resonant circuits? If you are referring to a transformer feeding a diode or bridge rectifier to a capacitor input filter, then that is not a resonant circuit even though it may contain an inductor and a capacitor. There may be small residual capacitance directly associated with any inductor, and these could be resonant somewhere.

For an LC circuit to have some form of resonance there must be an oscillating back and forth exchange of energy between the inductor and capacitor. This does not occur if critically damped, or overdamped, nor if there is a one way device like a diode.

Phil Corso

Gar...

Why do you always use the "shot-gun" approach to problem solving? You must be patient! As soon as Ritelec can provide an answer to my comment(s), I will be more than willing to provide further analysis!

The two circuits I mentioned are: one is a series L-C; the other, parallel!

Regards, Phil

gar

Occupation
EE
130810-0907 EDT

Phil Corso:

Would you define where the series and parallel resonant circuits are that you consider to be the possible problem sources. And why do you consider a resonant source to be more of a problem than just an inductor?

Phil Corso

Gar...

You also overlooked another clue... Ritelec's manual actuation of the interposing relay! Although he wasn't sure about the resulting actions he was sure the problem had ameliorated! Speaks volumes to me!

Phil

Phil Corso

Gar...

I don't understand your point about a "resonant source!" Although the "source plays an import part... randomness... it is not the source of "resonance!

An inductor with an iron-core, akin to a transformer, certainly exacerbates the "ferroresonance" phenomenon because of the possibility of saturation! Then, the inductor behaves like a variable-inductance! Thus, making identification of "ferroresonance" much more difficult!

Phil

gar

Occupation
EE
130810-1121 EDT

In the post numbered 36 your statement was:
I believe the phenomenon leading to false-tripping of the GFI-fitted CB is related to Ferroresonance.
Why you selected the word "Ferroresonance" seemed strange. What was important about ferroresonance vs just resonance? I don't see why resonance has anything to do with the problem unless the device, GFCI, has a tuned circuit and it happens to be tuned to the frequency of the resonance in this "Ferroresonant" thing.

The rate of rise of capacitor voltage and the peak capacitor voltage diminish as the resonant frequency is lowered by increasing the capacitance in parallel with a fixed inductance, and keeping the initial inductor energy the same.

In the real world a transformer primary with unloaded secondary will have a self resonant frequency determined by the inductance of the primary and the equivalent shunt capacitance from the winding. A small, 175 kVA, transformer that I tested has a self resonance at about 40 kHz at a low excitation level, less than a volt. This could be considerably different at a higher level.

#14 Romex has a capacitance of about 16 pfd per foot. Thus, 100 ft of this Romex would provide about 1600 pfd in shunt with the transformer primary, if the switch controlling power to the transformer was at the input to the Romex line, then the frequency will be lower with this added cable capacitance. This is what I suspect is one of the LC circuits to which you were referring.

What do I mean by source? The origin of the driving energy. In an RL series circuit with a switch and battery the source is the battery until the switch is opened. After opening the switch the source is the inductor.

There is much that we do not know about ritelec's circuit. Is the low voltage supply simply a transformer at the input, or something else? I don't believe that has been clearly defined.

There seems to be some contridictory information as the circuit changed. Initially I believe there was no contactor, and wall switches controlled the low voltage power supplies. It appears from the first post that the low voltage supplies are only transformers, and I will assume that means just a magnetic transformer and nothing else. However, there are persons in other posts that have referred to devices that use electronics as part of the supply to lower the output voltage as transformers.

Initially we had mechanical switches, wiring, transformers, low voltage lamp loads, and sometimes false GFCI tripping. At this point false tripping appeared to occur when switching off something. The exact combinations are not clear. However, adding a test shunt lamp near one of the transformers seemed to eliminate the problem, at least for the circuit associated with the test lamp. Thus, the conclusion seemed to be that inductive kick was the problem source, and the lamp absorbed some of this discharge energy.

This statement does not fit the other occurances,
One time I went to reset the breaker and it tripped as I reset the breaker with lights off.
and needs separate consideration.

Another statement that seems to be uncorrelated is
Currently... I hooked everything back up the way it was and the way it "should be"??.
The 3 ways control a lighting contactor in a control panel so at that location I spliced in the 60w bulb.
All is working fine and the way it is supposed to... lol.. the only issue is everytime the owner turns on his pool lights, a light turns on at the other side of the yard... :- )
Now a contactor is present. The strange part is this other light on the other side of the yard.

In post #26 manually cycling the contactor causes no tripping of the GFCI breaker that supplies the contacts of the contactor, and in turn the transformers. Also from this post the control circuit for the contactor coil is derived from a different circuit than the problem GFCI. When this control circuit is used, then the GFCI trips on energization of the contactor.

All this information does not correlate. Possibly the implication is some other cause than inductive kick from the transformers.

How is that remote yard light controlled? If it is simply a manual toggle switch, or some X10 equivalent? If it is a simple toggle switch, then there is a screwup some place in the wiring. If it is X10 or an equivalent, then the problem is the fundamental design of these devices. X10 is not and can not be an overall reliable system as designed. Not hard to jam or cause false operation.

Truely more new information is needed from ritelec. This other yard light seems like the starting point. It should be uncorrelated with the pool lights.

If manual operation of the contactor truely never causes a false trip of the GFCI, and the GFCI actually feeds the contacts on the contactor, then the transformers are not the source of false tripping.

Then we are down to the control circuit for the contactor, or its coil. But since this is on a different circuit than the GFCI why is transient noise into the input side of the GFCI causing it to trip.

Why has tripping shifted to the turn on time of the contactor, rather than turn off? Is this control circuit using the same neutral from the GFCI breaker, but getting power from a different circuit? This would certainly trip the GFCI at turn on of the contactor.

Possibly a single toggle switch on its own new wire to control the the solenoid would be a useful test. Might derive it from the GFCI circuit at the contactor as a different test.

ritelec

UPDATE.

All seems to be working well as far as a suggestion for rewire.

The gfci circuit feeding the lights (x-formers) went thru the 3- ways and contactor.

The contactor (coil) was controlled from a different circuit (control circuit) and neutral.

It was suggested to put the coil on the same gfci protected circuit.

Why would that make a difference............I don't know. But I rewired it that way and it seems to be holding.......

I'm pleased with the results, but again I'm curious why this happens.

The control circuit that fed the coil on the contactor was just another circuit feeding the same device (contactor) as the gfci pool light switching, but had
nothing in common with that circuit (guess besides the neutral). I was thinking to change the control circuit to be on the same phase or maybe use the same
gfci circuit for it but figured why??? What would make that different..........but as per the suggestion, I did. THANK YOU!!!

SO...whats to stop any other circuits in that panel from affecting that gfci circuit.

It seemed to have worked but makes no sense.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm pleased with the results, but again I'm curious why this happens.

The control circuit that fed the coil on the contactor was just another circuit feeding the same device (contactor) as the gfci pool light switching, but had
nothing in common with that circuit (guess besides the neutral). I was thinking to change the control circuit to be on the same phase or maybe use the same
gfci circuit for it but figured why??? What would make that different..........but as per the suggestion, I did. THANK YOU!!!

SO...whats to stop any other circuits in that panel from affecting that gfci circuit.

It seemed to have worked but makes no sense.
It makes a lot of sense if the coil current for the contactor was coming from another circuit but was returning over the neutral wire going to the GFCI, or if the two neutrals were cross-connected.
Even if the two circuit neutrals were properly separated, it may be that capacitive or inductive coupling was causing stray current on the GFCI neutral. This could explain why it only happened on make or break of the coil circuit.
But by far the most likely thing was that the two circuits did not have properly isolated neutral returns.

And if you have a GFCI breaker in a panel with other breakers, it will have its own isolated neutral connection. If you mix that up with the neutrals of other circuits, you will indeed have a problem there too.

ritelec

130810-1121 EDT

How is that remote yard light controlled? If it is simply a manual toggle switch, or some X10 equivalent? If it is a simple toggle switch, then there is a screwup some place in the wiring. If it is X10 or an equivalent, then the problem is the fundamental design of these devices. X10 is not and can not be an overall reliable system as designed. Not hard to jam or cause false operation.

Truely more new information is needed from ritelec. This other yard light seems like the starting point. It should be uncorrelated with the pool lights.

The other yard light was a drop light I temped up so I didn't have to keep walking back to the pool to see if the pool lights were on.......which led to resistor,
which led to varistor, which led to tripping gfci from separate coil circuit......Oscilloscopes..ferroresonance...contact bounce.....shot guns.......oh my............

Thanks for the help guys...........
Two things I know...
The pool lights seem to be working and............
How much I don't know !!!!

:D

ritelec

It makes a lot of sense if the coil current for the contactor was coming from another circuit but was returning over the neutral wire going to the GFCI, or if the two neutrals were cross-connected.
Even if the two circuit neutrals were properly separated, it may be that capacitive or inductive coupling was causing stray current on the GFCI neutral. This could explain why it only happened on make or break of the coil circuit.
But by far the most likely thing was that the two circuits did not have properly isolated neutral returns.

And if you have a GFCI breaker in a panel with other breakers, it will have its own isolated neutral connection. If you mix that up with the neutrals of other circuits, you will indeed have a problem there too.

Separate neutrals Goldigger.......one for control to neutral block, one for gfci to brk to neutral block..........

Guess I was LC coupled!!! :blink:

???????

As mentioned I don't know......
What a learning experience.

gar

Occupation
EE
130810-1736 EDT

Phil Corso:

Float neutral, then for my 4 ft sample the hot to EGC is 23.8 pfd/ft.
With neutral and EGC connected together, then the value is 25 pfd/ft.

All are in the same ballpark.

Also the tests are at about 100 kHz.

gar

Occupation
EE
130811-1306 EDT

ritelec:

In looking over the various posts I conclude (conjecture) the following:

1. Before the contactor was added.

There were several switches in series starting at the house, probably not too far from the GFCI breaker, and distributed in the run to the pool. The transformers (now it seems clear these are just a stepdown magnetic transformer) are at the pool. Unknown amount of wire from GFCI breaker to the transformers. These switches directly controlled the transformers.

The GFCI breaker falsely tripped at random times (in other words not always) when any one of the switches was switched to produce an off condition. Was this true of the switch closest to the transformers? Turning on the transformers never produced a false trip.

This false tripping was probably a result of the inductive kick when the transformers were turned off.

2. After the contactor was added.

The contactor contacts, and the transformers were supplied from the GFCI breaker. The contactor coil was supplied from a different circuit (breaker).

Manual operation of the contactor produced no false tripping. Note: the contactor and therefore the swirch contact points are close to the transformers. This reduces the shunt capacitance across the transformer primaries after the contacts open, and thus shortens the rise time of the transient voltage produced by opening the circuit to the transformers. Further the capacitance of the long supply lines to the contactor serves to reduce the transient voltage at the GFCI breaker. An interesting experiment would be to place a switch near the GFCI breaker in series with the hot line to the contactor contacts. Close the contactor, then toggle the test switch to see if you can cause the GFCI breaker to trip.

When the contactor was added a control circuit was created to control the contactor. Now a different problem was created. Under these conditions energizing the contactor coil, rather than deenergizing, caused the GFCI breaker to trip.

As GoldDigger point out a current to the GFCI breaker neutral was probably created from the full or partial contactor coil current. This is not a false trip, but an actual unbalanced current to the GFCI, and it should detect this. When the supply current for the contactor coil was moved to the GFCI breaker, then the problem went away. You really need to look at the wiring to see how this could happen. Draw out all related circuits. There might be something else out there that could cause a GFCI breaker trip. Coming out of the breaker there is its neutral wire. This should go nowhere except to the transformers at the pool. If the entire unisolated circuit for controlling the contactor is powered from the GFCI breaker, then it must use the GFCI neutral. If it is from a different circuit, then it must use a different neutral than the GFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.