SE rated Gen. transer switch interior location

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

I'll be installing a Generac 20KW SE rated transfer switch for a new Gen. installation. Are the space requirements for an interior installation same as for the main panel (36"*30"), also keeping reasonable interior length for the feeders entering the house from the meter?

HR...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is the 20Kw rating of the transfer switch enough to support the full service size, or will it be feeding a new panel with selected loads?
Your question about the length indicates that you realize that without exterior overcurrent protection these will be SE conductors, not feeders, regardless of what type of wire you use.

howardrichman

Yes; It will support the entire load of the house; already done load calculation, and I'll be coming directly from the meter, so the transfer switch will be the main disconnect before the one existing main distribution panel.

Thanks for reply
HR...

Yes is the answer to ?

Yes is the answer to ?

And I only say it because I've seen it done wrong, remember isolate grounded conductors in house panel its now after the first means of disconnect. I'm sure you already know.

Also FYI, a good practice. NFPA 110 ( 5.6.5.6 ) say you need an emergency shut off remote from the generator, the best place is next to the meter. Used for fire dept. to kill generator in case of fire, or incase of any emergency. Also provide plaque by sw, "Generator Emergency Shut OFF"

Some AHJ's may allow and prefer to NEC 702.11 or NEC 445.18

ceb58

Yes; It will support the entire load of the house; already done load calculation, and I'll be coming directly from the meter, so the transfer switch will be the main disconnect before the one existing main distribution panel.

Thanks for reply
HR...

Can you comply with your jurisdiction's requirement of "closest point of entry"?

Status
Not open for further replies.