multi meter bank service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flex

Doing a service upgrade at an apartment. Service comes in to a main fused disconnect then loads out and taps to 5 separate meters. It then goes down to each meters main lug panel. I think this is code compliant so I am just going to freshen up this install. Does anyone disagree?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Likewise disagree.
You must have overcurrent protection on the individual feeders to each unit also 408.36 would require a main disconnect in or ahead of the individual panel.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
was this ever legal?

unless I am missing the boat on something, it does not appear to me that the fused disconnect serves any real purpose at all, other than a place to put the main bonding jumper.

would this have been compliant if they had just fanned out to all the meters and put a main breaker in each tenant panel and made the bonds there?

kwired

Electron manager
was this ever legal?

unless I am missing the boat on something, it does not appear to me that the fused disconnect serves any real purpose at all, other than a place to put the main bonding jumper.

would this have been compliant if they had just fanned out to all the meters and put a main breaker in each tenant panel and made the bonds there?
If they are all grouped together and there are no more than six then yes.

If you are changing this, consider looking into a multimeter assembly with feeder breakers for each meter. No individual main is necessary if there are six or less mains total.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
six disconnect rule applies to all services. If multiple services are permitted you can have six disconnects for each one.
Do multiple services have to have independent service drop conductors at least part of the way back to the transformer, or can they just be split by POCO right at the meter location?

kwired

Electron manager
Do multiple services have to have independent service drop conductors at least part of the way back to the transformer, or can they just be split by POCO right at the meter location?
Read 230.2 and 230.40. Only one service is permitted, with some exceptions, like different number of phases, different voltage, or other characteristics, or if more power is needed than the utility normally supplies through a single service, fire pumps, emergency systems, some multi occupant applications, are some of the most common exceptions.

Each service drop or lateral is also only to supply one set of service entrance conductors.

So if you have a condition where two services are permitted you can have two service drops or service laterals.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Read 230.2 and 230.40. Only one service is permitted, with some exceptions, like different number of phases, different voltage, or other characteristics, or if more power is needed than the utility normally supplies through a single service, fire pumps, emergency systems, some multi occupant applications, are some of the most common exceptions.

Each service drop or lateral is also only to supply one set of service entrance conductors.

So if you have a condition where two services are permitted you can have two service drops or service laterals.

You're forgetting exception 3 to 230.40.
Like splitting off at the meter to a separate building at a dwelling. The conductors to the separate building/structure are also SE conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.