Testing alkaline batteries - Truth or crapola ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I just happened to have some fresh batteries and some that I knew were bad.
Believe it or not, it Worked!!!

Even if the good battery happened to not stand up it didn't bounce like the bad one.

templdl

Dropping the battery to see if it bounces even though it doesn't make any sense testing a battery with a voltmeter is really not a legitimate test either as the test is done without placing a load an the battery. a battery can test good but may fail when loaded.
I must say that the drop test is very appealing.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Dropping the battery to see if it bounces even though it doesn't make any sense testing a battery with a voltmeter is really not a legitimate test either as the test is done without placing a load an the battery. a battery can test good but may fail when loaded.
When I wanted to do a quick check on an alkaline AAA, AA or C battery I would just read it on the amps range of my multimeter. A little hard on the battery for a second or two, but a good indication of load capacity.
On the other hand, doing that with a lithium battery could be a little hard on the meter.... :)

kwired

Electron manager

But a true load test will use up some of the stored capacity...;)

templdl

But a true load test will use up some of the stored capacity...;)

You are correct but to what extent? It really would depend upon the time that you use conducting the test which would ideally be very brief and as such should have very little affect on the battery life.

Last edited:

templdl

Me too! I thought I was the only one that did this.:roll:

Some have too much idle time is all. Is it a matter of trying to save a few bucks is batteries or doing something that is more productive. But never the less just think of the entertainment you can provide but demonstrating this to others.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Some have too much idle time is all. Is it a matter of trying to save a few bucks is batteries or doing something that is more productive. But never the less just think of the entertainment you can provide but demonstrating this to others.

If you want entertainment, drop me on the floor watch me bounce and then try to stand up.:lol:

kwired

Electron manager
When the gizo stops working I change the batteries and throw the old ones away.

It is a very complicated process.

Me too! I thought I was the only one that did this.:roll:

Disposing old when replacing does sound like a really simple process doesn't it? Now, if you live with kids that throw used batteries back in with the supply of new batteries maybe you will understand the higher need of some way to see if they are good before using them.:blink:

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Or they just leave them on the counter and no one knows how they got there. Are these new ones that didn't fit or fix the problem? Or are they the old ones and they didn't put them in the garbage?

I've always just used a volt meter. Alkaline batteries seem to drop in voltage as they get used. New one are typically 1.5 to 1.55 volts. Used ones are typically 1.3V, 1.2V, or even less. No need to draw current out of the battery in many cases. Generally, I'm assessing new -vs- used up, and not anything in between.

kwired

Electron manager
Or they just leave them on the counter and no one knows how they got there. Are these new ones that didn't fit or fix the problem? Or are they the old ones and they didn't put them in the garbage?

I've always just used a volt meter. Alkaline batteries seem to drop in voltage as they get used. New one are typically 1.5 to 1.55 volts. Used ones are typically 1.3V, 1.2V, or even less. No need to draw current out of the battery in many cases. Generally, I'm assessing new -vs- used up, and not anything in between.

That is exactly what I do when the drawer gets so many batteries and nobody knows what is good and what is bad, Break out the meter, anything less than 1.4 v is tossed. 1.4 -1.5 is separated from anything over 1.5, and of course nobody but me uses the 1.4-1.5 pile:roll:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Disposing old when replacing does sound like a really simple process doesn't it? Now, if you live with kids that throw used batteries back in with the supply of new batteries maybe you will understand the higher need of some way to see if they are good before using them.:blink:
Bingo !!! I almost forgot what that was like after being an "empty-nester" for several years now. BTW, when you come home from work do you turn off lights and make ice cubes too ? For the longest time I truly believed no one in my house knew how to do that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.