XHHW-2 "TInned" #6 for gnd

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlS

I have a spec that requires XHHW-2 Tinned for all wire. The are insisting all gnds meet this requirement. The trouble is I cannot this this special wire in green. The NEC states all #6 and smaller must be green insulation. I am running #6 equipment gnds from the panelboards etc from the panel to the ground bar loop on the building wall. THese are equipment grounds from the panel to the ground bar. I can get this #6 black with a green stripe. I have not found where I can use this in the code and prefer green insulation. Any help would be apreciated.

I also have 4/0 black which I intend to phase tape from the major equipment and cable trays down to the busbar for equipment grounds. I prefer green for this application but cannot find in this type cable

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I have a spec that requires XHHW-2 Tinned for all wire. The are insisting all gnds meet this requirement. The trouble is I cannot this this special wire in green. The NEC states all #6 and smaller must be green insulation. I am running #6 equipment gnds from the panelboards etc from the panel to the ground bar loop on the building wall. THese are equipment grounds from the panel to the ground bar. I can get this #6 black with a green stripe. I have not found where I can use this in the code and prefer green insulation. Any help would be apreciated.

I also have 4/0 black which I intend to phase tape from the major equipment and cable trays down to the busbar for equipment grounds. I prefer green for this application but cannot find in this type cable

250.119 Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors. Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be bare, covered, or insulated. Individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section. Conductors with insulation or individual covering that is green, green with one or more yellow stripes, or otherwise identified as permitted by this section shall not be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Can you just run a #4 black conductor and re-identify it?
You are specifically allowed to re-identify some "circuit conductors" or "current carrying conductors", but do those permissions also apply to EGCs?
Any re-identification would also have to be done at any intermediate point in the run where the conductor is accessible, whether it is interrupted or not, yes?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You are specifically allowed to re-identify some "circuit conductors" or "current carrying conductors", but do those permissions also apply to EGCs?
Any re-identification would also have to be done at any intermediate point in the run where the conductor is accessible, whether it is interrupted or not, yes?

For EGC's larger than #6:

250.119(A) Conductors Larger Than 6 AWG. Equipment ground-
ing conductors larger than 6 AWG shall comply with
250.119(A)(1) and (A)(2).
(1) An insulated or covered conductor larger than 6 AWG
shall be permitted, at the time of installation, to be
permanently identified as an equipment grounding con-
ductor at each end and at every point where the con-
ductor is accessible.
Exception: Conductors larger than 6 AWG shall not be
required to be marked in conduit bodies that contain no
splices or unused hubs.
(2) Identification shall encircle the conductor and shall be
accomplished by one of the following:
a. Stripping the insulation or covering from the entire
exposed length
b. Coloring the insulation or covering green at the ter-
mination
c. Marking the insulation or covering with green tape
or green adhesive labels at the termination

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Does the wire have to be made tinned, or can you tin it yourself with a soldering gun?

Either way, you need to comply with 110.14
Somehow I have a hard time seeing how you could tin the entire length of an insulated wire with a soldering gun.....
When the spec calls for tinned wire, just tinning the ends does not make the grade.
In some cases (like marine, for example) the tinning is intended to protect the insulation-covered part of the wire as well as the exposed ends.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Its usually copper wire that has been "tinned" or coated.

Tinned copper wire lasts up to 10 times longer than non-tinned wire. It also resists water corrosion and provides enhanced conductivity.

Other than preventing a less conductive oxide
"skin" which would be significant at skin-effect frequencies, I cannot see increased conductivity from zinc over copper.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Tinned copper wire lasts up to 10 times longer than non-tinned wire. It also resists water corrosion and provides enhanced conductivity.
Order now and you can get not just one role but two roles of tinned copper for the same price!

Not only that we'll throw in the tinned copper cutter and the tinned copper enhanced conductivity tester free. Operators are standing by.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Order now and you can get not just one role but two roles of tinned copper for the same price!

Not only that we'll throw in the tinned copper cutter and the tinned copper enhanced conductivity tester free. Operators are standing by.

Operators got tired and sat down!:p

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Can you even get "tinned" stranded ? If it is going in a conduit it can not be solid at that size, just stranded. The only time we ran into a spec for tinned wire is in telco work and only for ground rings (buried) and the connections off of them to outside equipment.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Can you even get "tinned" stranded ? If it is going in a conduit it can not be solid at that size, just stranded. The only time we ran into a spec for tinned wire is in telco work and only for ground rings (buried) and the connections off of them to outside equipment.

Tinned wire, particularly stranded, is common in electronics work as it is easier to solder to with a "weak" rosin type flux.

KarlS

Sorry I have not got back to the forum sooner. Thanks for the responses.

You can find the XHHW-2 Tinned but its special. Why would the a city write a spec with this included is unknown. I have searched for the #6 green since this post began and no luck. I am proceeding with the #4 black and Green tape the ends.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Why would the a city write a spec with this included is unknown.

Probably because somebody at the city heard something like this:
and decided, "Tinned copper wire is clearly better than regular copper wire; we should use it for everything!" :D Either that, or the spec was copied from another project where it was important to have tinned wire, and nobody thought to change it. Both possibilities are equally likely, as both happen all the time. Unfortunately, by the time it gets to the Electrician, those involved in the design are much more likely to say, "It was in the specs, so you should've bid it that way," than change the specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.