Combo Exit Light circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdavisg

We are currently remodeling a building into a church and are required to install some exit lights. Are these combo exit lights (exit light emergency light combination) required to be on a circuit of their own or can we tie into an existing circuit?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We are currently remodeling a building into a church and are required to install some exit lights. Are these combo exit lights (exit light emergency light combination) required to be on a circuit of their own or can we tie into an existing circuit?

It is best to tie into the line side of a lighting circuit seving the area the combo lights are in. That way if the power goes off to the lighting circuit for any reason other than a total power outage to the building people can still see their way out

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
It is best to tie into the line side of a lighting circuit seving the area the combo lights are in. That way if the power goes off to the lighting circuit for any reason other than a total power outage to the building people can still see their way out

Not only best, but required per code.

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
unit equipment

unit equipment

unless there are 3 circuits serving the area...NEC 700.12(F)exception No 1

(i think)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Also don't forget about your exterior emergency lighting requirements when two or more exits are required. 1006.3 of the UBC. I'm assuming that since it's going to be a church that the occupant load will be over 50.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Also don't forget about your exterior emergency lighting requirements when two or more exits are required. 1006.3 of the UBC. I'm assuming that since it's going to be a church that the occupant load will be over 50.

IBC 2009 says "Exterior egress components at other than their level of exit discharge"

Status
Not open for further replies.