Thumbs up or down for micro/stove recpt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Please let me know if I am correct.

I will be installing a microwave circ/receptacle in the upper cabinet over a gas stove (oven) for a microwave to hang on.

As per 210.52(B)(2) exception 2...... I would be able to install a receptacle on the way up for the electric ignition of the oven/stove on the same circuit..

And as per 406.12 that oven/stove receptacle would have to be Tamper Resistant because it is one appliance not two as stated in exception (3) of that article.

Thumbs up or down????
Thank you...

Rich

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thumbs up. :thumbsup:

It still seems a bit ridiculous to me that the range receptacle would need to be tamper resistant -- it's not like a little kid is going to pull out the range to get at the unused outlet and stick a fork in it -- but that's what the Code requires. Unless you want to use a single receptacle for the range, because then 406.12 Exception (3) would apply.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
yes..........for the ignition

406.12 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles for Dwelling Units. See related ROP ROC UL In all areas specified in 210.52, all nonlocking-type 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.

Exception: Receptacles in the following locations shall not be required to be tamper-resistant:

Changed From 2008

?
spacer.gif
406.12 & Exception: Revised to specify that the requirement applies to ?nonlocking? type receptacles and to add a new exception providing specific conditions under which receptacles are not required to be tamper-resistant

(1)
spacer.gif
Receptacles located more than 1.7 m (5? ft) above the floor.

(2)
spacer.gif
Receptacles that are part of a luminaire or appliance.

(3)
spacer.gif
A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located within dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in accordance with
400.7(A)(6), (A)(7), or (A)(8).

(4)
spacer.gif
Nongrounding receptacles used for replacements as permitted in 406.4(D)(2)(a).

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If the stove outlet is on the small appliance branch circuit then the microwave cannot be on that circuit, IMO, unless the rec. is within 20 inches of the counter
I disagree. The SABCs have to serve wall, floor and refrigeration receptacles as well, not just countertop receptacles.
NEC 210.52(B)(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all countertop outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.
Although now I find I'm doubting myself, because Dennis isn't often wrong. Am I misunderstanding this code section?

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If this is also a range hood you might want to check out 422.16(b)(4)!
I don't think I've run across this one before. Does this apply to an above-the-range microwave with vent fan? I've always felt that those should have their own circuit, but never had a code reference to back it up. If this does apply to a microwave with vent fan, I'm afraid I'll have to withdraw my thumbs-up, ritelec. It appears I may have spoken too soon...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I disagree. The SABCs have to serve wall, floor and refrigeration receptacles as well, not just countertop receptacles.

Although now I find I'm doubting myself, because Dennis isn't often wrong. Am I misunderstanding this code section?

Is the range hood one of these?

shall serve all wall and
floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all counter-
top outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for
refrigeration equipment.

I don't think I've run across this one before. Does this apply to an above-the-range microwave with vent fan? I've always felt that those should have their own circuit, but never had a code reference to back it up. If this does apply to a microwave with vent fan, I'm afraid I'll have to withdraw my thumbs-up, ritelec. It appears I may have spoken too soon...

Check the manufacturers electrical requirements....probably calls for it's own 20 amp circuit and that trumps the NEC. Personally, I ALWAYS put a wall mounted micro on its own 20 amp circ.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As HEYDOG mentioned range hoods have their own requirement otherwise 210.23(A)(2) may apply to the OP's question.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I agree the floor, refrigerator and range clock/ignition can be on the small appliance branch circuit however I do not see an exception for an over the range microwave or any mw that may be built in that is above the 20" allowed

BTW- I am often wrong...LOL

ritelec

If the stove outlet is on the small appliance branch circuit then the microwave cannot be on that circuit, IMO, unless the rec. is within 20 inches of the counter

Two or more appliance branch circuits. (the house is older and there are some counter top receptacles) I'm bringing
a separate circuit for a new micro wave and currently there is an extension chord running behind
the stove for the ignition. Is not the microwave an appliance? I should be able to ad the ignition recept to it right?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Two or more appliance branch circuits. (the house is older and there are some counter top receptacles) I'm bringing
a separate circuit for a new micro wave and currently there is an extension chord running behind
the stove for the ignition. Is not the microwave an appliance? I should be able to ad the ignition recept to it right?

I see no reason not to do that as long as the mw is not part of the small appliance branch circuit. Of course the manufacturers spec often call for a dedicate 15 amp circuit. I must admit I ignore that when it comes to putting the range ignition power on it.

ritelec

If this is also a range hood you might want to check out 422.16(b)(4)!

It's going to be combo microwave with hood........

So this article (4) (5) says it needs to be supplied by an individual branch circuit????

It say range hood, not micro wave with range hood but I get where you coming from, so where does it put the combo micro/fan .... just wondering....

It also says chord and plug connected???

If the fan (no micro) is chord connected...even if it's a fraction of a horse power, it would need a circuit?

For grins........these small I hard wired hoods.........what circ does it go on???

Wow.......

ritelec

lol..............your kidding me.............

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Check the manufacturers electrical requirements....probably calls for it's own 20 amp circuit and that trumps the NEC. Personally, I ALWAYS put a wall mounted micro on its own 20 amp circ.
In that case, I wish you had wired my house. I've got the built-in microwave, range striker, refrigerator, two countertop outlets and the kitchen lights all on the same circuit. Just tripped the breaker the other day trying to use the microwave and electric griddle at the same time.

The house was built in '93 and I don't have any code books older than '93, but I've got a feeling they may have cut a few corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.