Thumbs up or down for micro/stove recpt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

So microwave and receptacle for ignition for stove on the same circuit is a thumbs up.
Microwave with a hood and receptacle for ignition on the same circuit is a thumbs down.

I have yet to see the unit..............but this seems that this is the way the post went.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So microwave and receptacle for ignition for stove on the same circuit is a thumbs up.
Microwave with a hood and receptacle for ignition on the same circuit is a thumbs down.

I have yet to see the unit..............but this seems that this is the way the post went.
The way this one went down came as quite the shock to me as well, especially since I've looked without success for a requirement like this before. It still doesn't make sense to me to require an individual branch circuit for a hood but not for a microwave, but I guess that's what the code says...

ritelec

The way this one went down came as quite the shock to me as well, especially since I've looked without success for a requirement like this before. It still doesn't make sense to me to require an individual branch circuit for a hood but not for a microwave, but I guess that's what the code says...

Chord and plug wired not hard wired is the way I read it........

Again..................a home depot piece of *rap hard wired fan with a light.
What is the permissible circuit to place it on.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No I don?t believe it! :happyno: You might be slightly mistaken but you are never wrong my friend. :thumbsup: Hope life is treating you well.

As I once said-- "I may not always be right , but I will never be wrong". LOL:lol:

Life is good--hope you are well also.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Chord and plug wired not hard wired is the way I read it........

Again..................a home depot piece of *rap hard wired fan with a light.
What is the permissible circuit to place it on.
Maybe on the lighting circuit? We now know it's not allowed to be on a SABC, but (depending on the load) it might be able to share a circuit with a garbage disposal or dishwasher.

(Someone will now come tell me why I'm wrong. ;))

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Maybe on the lighting circuit? We now know it's not allowed to be on a SABC, but (depending on the load) it might be able to share a circuit with a garbage disposal or dishwasher.

(Someone will now come tell me why I'm wrong. ;))
Sorry to disappoint :)p) but you're not wrong (AFAICT :blink:).

A hardwired hood can be on any circuit (within the constraints of circuit requirements, that is) that is not one which has a "no other outlets" stipulation, such as SABC, laundry, and bathroom.

Also, FWIW... it has not been mentioned that receptacles in cabinets are automatically excluded from all 210.52 receptacles by item (3) in the general statement.

ritelec

hurk27

A gas fired cook top is allowed to be fed from any general purpose circuit, it is also allowed to be fed from the SABC as the exception #2 to 210.52(B)(2) remember it is an exception to be on the SABC not a requirement.

It might be easier to just pull a receptacle down from a counter receptacle if there is one located close to the cook top, also look to see if there is a receptacle on the other side of the wall or even a switch that might have a hot and neutral as both would be compliant to feed it from as per the NEC.

OK so I reckon I can grab that ignition receptacle from anywhere!!!!

Basement lighting, receptacle.................And I should be able to install that receptacle from and existing circuit "without" adding arc fault protection............

ritelec

Question:
This thread jogged some old brain cells I thought died long ago.

In the town I will be doing this install in....... Many many years ago, I wired a house in this same town and installed that stove receptacle on the
lighting circuit.
The inspector (who was very nice and very very old at the time) said that the oven was an appliance and wanted me to put it on its own circ.
which I did.

Besides the exemption of putting on the SABC...... where does it say (or not say) where that receptacle can be fed from?

Thanks

Rich

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Question:
This thread jogged some old brain cells I thought died long ago.

In the town I will be doing this install in....... Many many years ago, I wired a house in this same town and installed that stove receptacle on the
lighting circuit.
The inspector (who was very nice and very very old at the time) said that the oven was an appliance and wanted me to put it on its own circ.
which I did.

Besides the exemption of putting on the SABC...... where does it say (or not say) where that receptacle can be fed from?

Thanks

Rich

It can be fed from any circuit even a small appliance branch circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.