Service panel nuetrals to ground bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpk

Can you terminate a grounded (nuetral) counductor to a ground bar in a service panel. The service in question is a 200amp residential where the only grounded bar for nuetral / ground connections is on 1 side of the panel so all the nuetrals and grounds (type nm cable) are routed to the one side. If I were to screw a ground bar on the other side (there are threaded holes for it) would it be code permissible to terminate nuetrals to it or grounds only

templdl

Can you terminate a grounded (nuetral) counductor to a ground bar in a service panel. The service in question is a 200amp residential where the only grounded bar for nuetral / ground connections is on 1 side of the panel so all the nuetrals and grounds (type nm cable) are routed to the one side. If I were to screw a ground bar on the other side (there are threaded holes for it) would it be code permissible to terminate nuetrals to it or grounds only

The ground bar that you intend to add it appears as though you are attaching it using the threaded holes in the panel. Are you intending yo only terminated a the EGCs on it? This would free up more terminals on the neutral/ground bar. If you would intend on terminating neutral conductors in it my concern would be that the enclosure would be conducting those neutral currents back to the neutral/ground bar where the SE neutral is terminated. Would that be a code violation?

bpk

Yes, the intent is to free up space and just make it alot cleaner looking. I found in article 408 where it refers to article 250 but nothing in 250 that allows or prohibits it. I thought if it was allowed that it would be similar to a transformer with a supply side bonding jumper sized accordingly.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, the intent is to free up space and just make it alot cleaner looking. I found in article 408 where it refers to article 250 but nothing in 250 that allows or prohibits it. I thought if it was allowed that it would be similar to a transformer with a supply side bonding jumper sized accordingly.

If you're asking about terminating a neutral to a ground bar that's connected solely by the screws to the panel enclosure the answer is no it's not permitted.

templdl

The ground bar that you intend to add it appears as though you are attaching it using the threaded holes in the panel. Are you intending yo only terminated a the EGCs on it? This would free up more terminals on the neutral/ground bar. If you would intend on terminating neutral conductors in it my concern would be that the enclosure would be conducting those neutral currents back to the neutral/ground bar where the SE neutral is terminated. Would that be a code violation?

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech

Many service panels I see have two ground/neutral bars joined by a busbar. As long as you aren't depending on the "can" as a bond between two neutral/ground bars I would think it would be OK. Of course, the busbars and any line side service conduits must be bonded to the enclosure (with threaded screws).

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
NO you cannot use bar screwed to the can for nuetral connections at any time.

use it to free up the nuetral bar.

In general wires carry nuetral currents never the metal of the enclosure. The enclosure is only bonded at the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.