Cable Carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbert

What article do cable carriers, also known as cable wraps, cable chains, or flexible cable trays fall under? Are they considered a raceway or cable tray? or does it depend on the actual construction, open or enclosed?

plumb bob

perhaps the OP is talking about a cable track, often used on machinery or process lines when a large amount of cable movement is needed. Cable is laid inside what looks like the "track" of a tracked vehicle. The "track" then moves or slides along with some sort of machine as it goes thru it's range of motion protecting the cable the whole time. I've only seen it as part of a listed machine, never field assembled.

Timbert

perhaps the OP is talking about a cable track, often used on machinery or process lines when a large amount of cable movement is needed. Cable is laid inside what looks like the "track" of a tracked vehicle. The "track" then moves or slides along with some sort of machine as it goes thru it's range of motion protecting the cable the whole time. I've only seen it as part of a listed machine, never field assembled.
Yes, it goes by many names. Some brands include IGUS or Kabelschlepp.

It is typically part of a machine, in this case the machine is a building, a rotating enclosure where the electrical service for lighting, motors, receptacles, etc. all go through moving cable carriers.

I'm currently reviewing the plans. Just saying, "I don't like this." or "I wouldn't do it this way." is not really an option. Also, who knows, I could be wrong. So, I'm looking for some code references that I could cite. I'm sure this is one of those situations that the writers of the code never really envisioned would occur.

I would think it would be under the article for cable tray as it is a non-enclosed support for cable mounting. However, I note that in one instance, cranes, the code talks about flexible raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.