Fountain Light Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

Everyone,

Has anyone ever serviced (or installed) fountain lights? I have a customer that has submersible box with 10 corded lights coming out of it. One of the lights has cracked lens and is causing the GFCI breaker to trip.

My plan is essentially to order some potting compound and remove the bad light and cord (they won't miss one light). Then install a plastic KO seal and re-install the compound. Does this sound reasonable? How hard will it be to remove the old compound? Are the cords spliced in the box with wirenuts or is it usually a factory assembly? Thanks, I've never worked on these before.

Also, I've noticed the old box is mounted on a piece of rigid that is corroded. If that is part of the problem, I have no clue how to fix it. I noticed the code requires this to be brass now.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
RE: Fountain Lights

RE: Fountain Lights

I took care of several fountain light systems in the past. In my experience its better if the distribution box is above water, if possible.
I was using 115v fixtures made by Kichler which were of good quality with a weighted bottom, heavy glass lens, and o ring seal to an MR16 lamp.
I also did one small system that utilized 24VAC with a transformer and also ran MR11 lamps.
A full upgrade/retrofit might be attractive, faster and more reliable.

jes25

I tend to agree with you that the whole system should be replaced but, I'm quite concerned about the rotted rigid feeding the lights

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Keyword submursable box. . If this box is fed by a conduit of rigid GAL it was never done properly.
Plastic or Brass is the under water material.
I also don't know many under water boxes readily available the to the average electrician.
So I suspect the entire installation.
Looks a complete re-do to me.

jes25

HADCO.jpg

In order to redo it completely, I'd have to find a way to get something like this from Hadco installed in the bottom of the fountain.........................And then there is bonding. Won't be much fountain left!

Status
Not open for further replies.