European Hazardous location products - Where to find info??

Status
Not open for further replies.

phowardtx

I have so far unsuccessfully queried the Appleton and Crous-Hinds product reps for a few products that nobody seems to know anything about. I'm looking for Class I Div II or similarly rated European devices for use on aircraft maintenance stands. We've used the below products on maintenance stands using American standard voltage/frequency, but I need to find equivalent products rated for use with 415/240V/3ph/50Hz. Can anyone refer me to a product rep, website, catalog, anything that could point me in the right direction of the products I need to specify? So far the sales reps I've talked to are clueless (as am I) on where to find the European equivalents to these devices.

The maintenance stands are portable and contain plugs and receptacles to connect 1) from the service to the panel, 2) connect from stand to stand, and 3) a BS1363 Receptacle for plugging in equipment to work on the planes.

Panel: Crous-Hinds #D2PB15-12-20
Panel RCPT: Crous-Hinds #SRD6524
Panel Plug: Crous-Hinds #SP6565-NW

Outlet Box: Appleton #GRT75
Stand to stand Plug: Appleton #CES2214
Stand to stand RCPT: Appleton #CPH-3034BC
Duplex Receptacle: Appleton #EFSC275-2023 (this needs to be a 13A, 250V, switched duplex British Standard 1363)

THANKS!!:thumbsup:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You won't find any Class I, Division II (it's "2" by the way) for European applications. The closest will be products marked in accord with Section 505.9(C) for US domestic "Zones".

A word of caution; the AEx mark, while required in the US, is absolutely meaningless (as are Class and Division marks) in the European Union (EU). They must be marked EEx.

I would consult with your local Stahl representative.

phowardtx

You won't find any Class I, Division II (it's "2" by the way) for European applications. The closest will be products marked in accord with Section 505.9(C) for US domestic "Zones".

A word of caution; the AEx mark, while required in the US, is absolutely meaningless (as are Class and Division marks) in the European Union (EU). They must be marked EEx.

I would consult with your local Stahl representative.

Thanks for the advice. I figured they'd have similar but different standards. I've had limited experience with these devices so any help is appreciated and I'll check with Stahl too. I've cross posted to a UK forum as well.

Also, I should've mentioned the codes that are applicable in the jurisdiction these are being installed:
a. MEW R-1, Regulations for Electrical Installations
b. MEW S-1, General Specification for Electrical Installation.
c. What's not covered in a and b is defaulted to NEC

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
What would have helped more is the country you where you intend to install. Since there are Middle Eastern standards, there's a fairly broad acceptance of either US or EU equipment. The only thing I see that would be likely be a significant concern is the receptacles and attachment plugs. Stahl will still be helpful, but I'd simply specify that the receptacles and attachment plugs be consistent with British Standard 1363 and simply specify the Volts, Amps and phases.

phowardtx

Thanks for your responses. I believe this equipment will be installed in Kuwait, but I have limited info. We are helping design these stands directly for the manufacturer so I can't necessarily "performance spec" it. They need to know what products they need to order and who offers them.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks for your responses. I believe this equipment will be installed in Kuwait, but I have limited info. We are helping design these stands directly for the manufacturer so I can't necessarily "performance spec" it. They need to know what products they need to order and who offers them.
"Performance Specifying" is pretty much the name of the game for EU products in hazardous locations. Nevertheless try Stahl in the US or possibly Hawke in England.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There is no direct correlation to UL / NEC standards, the IEC system is much more specific and complicated.

THIS is a decent listing of the applicable standards, but you would need to get hold of the standards themselves to see what applies to your applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.