Backfed GFCI Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The panel neutral bus will have to be driven through the GFCI breaker. HOW would this be done ?

Specifically, in line with the reversal of line and load roles, the feeder neutral wire will terminate at the neutral screw of the breaker and the neutral pigtail from the breaker will be the exclusive feed to the neutral bus.
If you get it backwards, any amount of neutral current at all will trip the GFCI.

Sparkbob

I don't know what Murray breaker the OP is looking at either, but this one definitely has a neutral terminal and a neutral pigtail.

I do see a Square D breaker like the one you describe, but I also see 120/240 breakers that do have a load-side neutral terminal.
Seems to be a feature of the QO line.

Thanks, GoldDigger. The Murray breaker DOES HAVE the neutral pigtail as shown in your link. I'm going to check for the "line and load" markings.
Thanks to all that replied!!!

Bob

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does this panel also feed underwater lights? If so they require the GFCI protection to be part of the branch circuit. You could still install GFCI protection for the feeder but additional GFCI protection must be installed in the circuit feeding the lights.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, the gfci at the main panel and using a main gfci are bad ideas. If one circuit trips then the whole panel is out. I would spend the bucks for individual gfci breakers I understand the cost issue but that is how I would bid the job.

Future expansion

Future expansion

The best thing is to have them install a standard back feed OCD, with tie down. And individual GFCI breakers for each pump motor. This would provide for a more reliable installation and should any handy man come in later and add, say landscape lighting or any single pole GFCI OCD for 120v circuits, there wont be any conflict.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
The best thing is to have them install a standard back feed OCD, with tie down. And individual GFCI breakers for each pump motor. This would provide for a more reliable installation and should any handy man come in later and add, say landscape lighting or any single pole GFCI OCD for 120v circuits, there wont be any conflict.

Did I miss something? Where does it say that a sub panel which this is needs a main breaker installed just because it has more than 6 throws of a handle thought this only applies to services. And my understanding is that any property has only 1 true service and anything after that is a subpanel. Does it have something to do with being in a detached structure?. I to would put GFI breakers in to feed each branch circuit makes isolating problems a bit easier.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Did I miss something? Where does it say that a sub panel which this is needs a main breaker installed just because it has more than 6 throws of a handle thought this only applies to services. And my understanding is that any property has only 1 true service and anything after that is a subpanel. Does it have something to do with being in a detached structure?. I to would put GFI breakers in to feed each branch circuit makes isolating problems a bit easier.

It does apply to services, it also applies to the main supply of separate structures. A sub panel within same structure doesn't need a main, nor is limited to six breakers.

see 225.33

Status
Not open for further replies.