GFCI Patient Care areas, Clinic examing room

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was my understanding that gfci was required within 6ft of a sink except very few exceptions even for exam room physical clinics. Apparently 2008 NEC 210.8 (5) Sinks exception No 2 says otherwise is what someone is telling me.

Isn't this taken out of context, I thought this was just to support 517.21. Am I wrong in this?

Volta

Well, IMO the exception would not apply to clinical examination rooms, but only patient bed care areas. I do not think an examination table would meet the definition below, nor would it 517.21, as that section only applies to critical care areas.

NEC 2011 517.2 Definitions said:
Patient Bed Location. The location of a patient sleeping
bed, or the bed or procedure table of a critical care area.
[99:3.3.137]

NEC 2011 517.21 said:
Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for
Personnel. Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for
personnel shall not be required for receptacles installed in
those critical care areas where the toilet and basin are installed
within the patient room.

The exception to 210.8 is more restrictive in 2011.

kwired

Electron manager
Well, IMO the exception would not apply to clinical examination rooms, but only patient bed care areas. I do not think an examination table would meet the definition below, nor would it 517.21, as that section only applies to critical care areas.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NEC 2011 517.2 Definitions
Patient Bed Location. The location of a patient sleeping
bed, or the bed or procedure table of a critical care area.
[99:3.3.137]

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NEC 2011 517.21
Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for
Personnel. Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for
personnel shall not be required for receptacles installed in
those critical care areas where the toilet and basin are installed
within the patient room.

The exception to 210.8 is more restrictive in 2011.
Only speculation here, but this seems to be "de-classifying" the room as being a "bathroom" in a way, otherwise if it is a bathroom every 15 and 20 amp 125 volt receptacle in there would require GFCI protection.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Only speculation here, but this seems to be "de-classifying" the room as being a "bathroom" in a way, otherwise if it is a bathroom every 15 and 20 amp 125 volt receptacle in there would require GFCI protection.

The patient in the critical care area would be bedridden and not likely to be using an electrical appliance in the bathroom

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Is there a toilet in this exam room? If not, the exception obviously doesn't apply.

The exception is for in-patient rooms where the sink and toilet are in (or near) the patient care vicinity. (Picture a swivel out toilet and and a sink right beside the bed with only a privacy curtain track between them.)

I've seen rooms like this where you can't put a receptacle at the headwall without it being within 6' of the sink.

Is there a toilet in this exam room? If not, the exception obviously doesn't apply.

The exception is for in-patient rooms where the sink and toilet are in (or near) the patient care vicinity. (Picture a swivel out toilet and and a sink right beside the bed with only a privacy curtain track between them.)

I've seen rooms like this where you can't put a receptacle at the headwall without it being within 6' of the sink.

There is no toilet in the exam room. However, Even though I do not agree with it, but reading over that language a few times of the 2008 NEC I've come to believe it is not required. I do not think that was the intent of the CMP because it appears they tried to clear that up in the 2011 NEC. They only wanted to keep life support, critical type equipment from being on gfci because it would cause potential issues to the patient.

Volta

Well maybe de-classifying, per NEC definitions. Put I follow the intent here to realize that the room is not a bathroom per se, as most (non-electrician) people would define it. The fact that a toilet and basin exist doesn't change the prime purpose of the room, which then is 'critical care', and only on a secondary or tertiary or lower level is it for for body cleansing.

There is no toilet in the exam room. However, Even though I do not agree with it, but reading over that language a few times of the 2008 NEC I've come to believe it is not required. I do not think that was the intent of the CMP because it appears they tried to clear that up in the 2011 NEC. They only wanted to keep life support, critical type equipment from being on gfci because it would cause potential issues to the patient.

I agree, in 2008 it was allowed in the language, in 2011 they have restricted the non-GFCI outlets near sinks to exclude examination rooms.

kwired

Electron manager
Well maybe de-classifying, per NEC definitions. Put I follow the intent here to realize that the room is not a bathroom per se, as most (non-electrician) people would define it. The fact that a toilet and basin exist doesn't change the prime purpose of the room, which then is 'critical care', and only on a secondary or tertiary or lower level is it for for body cleansing

Exactly what I was trying to say. By NEC definition this room is a bathroom, but there is a situation where GFCI may not be desired, or maybe even conflicts with other codes. The use of this bathroom is not exactly the typical use of other bathrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.