pool pump timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Isn't having a timer for the circulation pump a common thing? I have a customer who wants to let his circulation pump run 24/7. Have you guys seen this done before? I don't deal with pool pumps often enough to know.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Isn't having a timer for the circulation pump a common thing? I have a customer who wants to let his circulation pump run 24/7. Have you guys seen this done before? I don't deal with pool pumps often enough to know.

Most of the time we never install a timer. We added one for a customer last week and that was the first one I had done in ages.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Most of the time we never install a timer. We added one for a customer last week and that was the first one I had done in ages.
Energy codes aside, with power prices the way they are in some states a customer may well want a timer.
It will also be useful if the customer installs solar thermal pool heating.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Energy codes aside, with power prices the way they are in some states a customer may well want a timer.
It will also be useful if the customer installs solar thermal pool heating.

I was always surprised that timers weren't used. I think the pool guys tell them it is better to keep the pool running during the summer months. I think it would be wise to cycle it on and off throughout the day. I know I would

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I was always surprised that timers weren't used. I think the pool guys tell them it is better to keep the pool running during the summer months. I think it would be wise to cycle it on and off throughout the day.
To some extent it depends on whether the filter and pump are probably sized. If they are too small you may need to run the pump 24x7 to get proper filtering and chlorination during the algae growing season and with lots of kids using the pool. :)

Cavie

I've been installing pump timers in Florida for 40 years. Pumps need run only 8 hrs. a day in the summer during daylight hours and even less in the winter. I never heard of not installing a pump timer.:?:? I,ve owned a pool for 12 years. I use a chlorine generator also. Best $$ ever spent on a pool.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have done three pools in the last year and every one of them had a timer. On one, it had a separate spa so I put in a 2-motor timer (2 time clocks in one enclosure), one for the pool and one for the spa.

Oh, they also added a "salt generator" to one of the timers.

The main reason one of the HO wanted a timer was for when they were away (a lot). So the pump could run and not come home to a "green" Pool!:sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.