GE lighting contactor blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I'm not sure which thread to post this in so I'll try this one.

My question is if anyone else has had issues with the GE460B lighting contactor blocks. In one of our warehouses we have 15 of them around the building that are burning up and failing. I went there the other day and took some temperature readings and I have 220 degree temps on some of the coils and 150 degree temps on the power blocks ( rated at about 104 degrees). They are all mounted in metal boxes with heat syncs mounted to the back.

These are controlling banks of 750 MH fixtures and all the power poles are double poles carrying 10-15A a piece. So each double power pole is running at around 30A each. I was told by tech support that the are rated for 30A per pole, but if this were the case why are they burning up?

These didn't get PM'd for 3-4 years so all the blocks hadn't been retorqued and when I went through to check they were definitely all pretty loose, do you think this may have already ruined the blocks and coils at this point? Also I was considering installing fans in the sides of the enclosures turning on with the contactor switch, could this resolve the issue or is it wishful thinking.

Thanks for any insite.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hello all, I'm not sure which thread to post this in so I'll try this one.

My question is if anyone else has had issues with the GE460B lighting contactor blocks. In one of our warehouses we have 15 of them around the building that are burning up and failing. I went there the other day and took some temperature readings and I have 220 degree temps on some of the coils and 150 degree temps on the power blocks ( rated at about 104 degrees). They are all mounted in metal boxes with heat syncs mounted to the back.

These are controlling banks of 750 MH fixtures and all the power poles are double poles carrying 10-15A a piece. So each double power pole is running at around 30A each. I was told by tech support that the are rated for 30A per pole, but if this were the case why are they burning up?

These didn't get PM'd for 3-4 years so all the blocks hadn't been retorqued and when I went through to check they were definitely all pretty loose, do you think this may have already ruined the blocks and coils at this point? Also I was considering installing fans in the sides of the enclosures turning on with the contactor switch, could this resolve the issue or is it wishful thinking.

Thanks for any insite.
With 220 degrees on the coils, I would double check that they are the correct voltage and whether they are simple relay operation or electrically latched versus mechanically latched. In the latter case the coils may not be rated for continuous power application.
I found some basic part number information here and here.
The high contact temperature may at least in part be the result of the even higher coil temperature.

Last edited:
That was my first thought to, but a little research shows that Eaton, GE and Siemens all distribute the same block. I assume they are all made in the same factory with different stickers, but have you had issues with the other brands too?

Also which style have you used and not had issues with? I would need upwords of 40 positions in some spots, and normally I would use a contactor panel but that would mean a large over haul. But I'm open to suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.