Balcony Railing - 250.4(A)(4) Inspector asking for bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
My mistake. It is the 2002 code. 250.104(C) uses the words "MAY BECOME ENERGIZED"

2005 250.104(C) uses the words "Likely to BECOME ENERGIZED"

2002 250.4(A)(4) uses the words "Likely to become energized"

The inspector believes it will make the project inherently safer, I don't think he is mad at anybody. I know I am not mad at him. But, as a representative for the owner I have to defend their position.

Anything metallic May become energized or Likely to become energized I just don't think that he is being realistic about this.
However since the floor of the balcony is metal I can see his concern. "Post #15"

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Now the inspector is citing 250.104(C). It is a wood frame building with steel balconies with steel railiings.

Any thoughts on whether this is structural steel?

He can keep citing various code sections but IMO he won't find any sections that will support his opinion.

ceb58

Anything metallic May become energized or Likely to become energized I just don't think that he is being realistic about this.
However since the floor of the balcony is metal I can see his concern. "Post #15"

Of course you can see it. If you stand still for 2 minuets in one of your buildings someone will come along and hook a bonding strap to you.:lol::lol::lol:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Think of this, if it does become energized what is the hazard? You are isolated from grounded surfaces and would never know it is energized.
Actually, if you are standing on a concrete deck which is tied with rebar to building steel or other ground connection, you will be standing on a grounded surface even if the concrete is not wet.
Does not change my overall opinion any, but....
(Also FWIW, for many purposes, the railing may already be accidentally grounded pretty well if it connects to the deck.) :)

The inspector believes it will make the project inherently safer, I don't think he is mad at anybody.
So, since the NEC is not a design manual, he feels that he has the right and responsibility to step in and serve that function himself???

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Of course you can see it. If you stand still for 2 minuets in one of your buildings someone will come along and hook a bonding strap to you.:lol::lol::lol:

That's true!
Our motto and R56's is "If it doesn't move ground it! If it does move, put a strap on it and then ground it!"

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer

+1.

Don't anyone tell the inspector that calcium is a metal or they'll require you walk around with a bonding strap around your ankle and screwed into your shin bone.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
250.104(C) starts out with : "Exposed structural metal that is interconnected to form a metal building frame and is not intentionally grounded or bonded and is likely to become energized shall be bonded to..."

I don't see how you described is interconnected to form a metal building frame, or that it is likely to become energized.

As has been said, if this needs bonding, then so should metal rain gutters, metal casings on doors/windows, or even metal siding/roofing on wood framed structures.

Think of this, if it does become energized what is the hazard? You are isolated from grounded surfaces and would never know it is energized.

What does the metal railing mount to? Is the balcony wood, or poured concrete on a metal frame? How far from the railing itself could one find a continuous circuit?

In short, what is the railing interconnected to that is metal? If anything, the inspector may have a point besides the one that is likely on top of his head.

Daja7

I would just tell the inspector that we obviously have a difference of opinion and we should take this to a higher authority for ruling. If there is no specific code (and there is not ) that says the rail must be bonded then the added expense will be born by the owner of this project. once the owner is aware i bet things get settled quickly.

kwired

Electron manager
Actually, if you are standing on a concrete deck which is tied with rebar to building steel or other ground connection, you will be standing on a grounded surface even if the concrete is not wet.
Does not change my overall opinion any, but....
We don't know what is supporting this deck and railing. All we have so far is wood framed building and steel railings and steel deck. If entirely supported by the wood framed building it is very possible for it to be thousands of volts above ground and nobody ever feels anything as long as they don't bring a grounded object near it.

What does the metal railing mount to? Is the balcony wood, or poured concrete on a metal frame? How far from the railing itself could one find a continuous circuit?

In short, what is the railing interconnected to that is metal? If anything, the inspector may have a point besides the one that is likely on top of his head.
Reply to Golddigger kind of fits here also.

Here again what my response was to. There could be additional information that may change the response if it becomes available.
Now the inspector is citing 250.104(C). It is a wood frame building with steel balconies with steel railiings.

Any thoughts on whether this is structural steel?

Sahib

If any lightning down conductor is near the said balcony or proposed to be laid, then the balcony railing may require bonding.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Actually if the balcony is a stand alone one, meaning no metal posts, just a metal balcony attached to a wood frame building, aren't you safer if it wasn't bonded, as is no reference to ground?

Occupation
Retired instructor- electrician
Ask the inspector for a UL approved lug or clamp

Ask the inspector for a UL approved lug or clamp

Ask the inspector for a UL approved lug or clamp approved for a outdoor metal balcony.
Installed without structural damage to the balcony, this must be approved by the building inspector also.

Status
Not open for further replies.