0-10 volt dimmer leaves lights at 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owner wanted to make existing cans dim in his lobby so we installed 20-new QTP 2x26/CF/UNV-DIM ballasts added a lutron 0-10 volt dimmer and when we tie them in it goes to 50%? If we tie the two wires together with no dimmer it goes to 50%. What did i screw up?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What is the actual model number of the dimmer because it is hard to help without all the info.

Am I reading it correctly that you are only getting 50% without the dimmer installed?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Looks like he did provide the part number and that IS the ballast.
Link

Looks like what you described is correct, but how did you wire the 0-10V signal? Do you have one Lutron unit for each ballast or one Lutron unit trying to control both?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Looks like he did provide the part number and that IS the ballast.
Link

Looks like what you described is correct, but how did you wire the 0-10V signal? Do you have one Lutron unit for each ballast or one Lutron unit trying to control both?

I was thinking about the dimmer model. I am surprised they don't recommend a specific dimmer for this unit.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Owner wanted to make existing cans dim in his lobby so we installed 20-new QTP 2x26/CF/UNV-DIM ballasts added a lutron 0-10 volt dimmer and when we tie them in it goes to 50%? If we tie the two wires together with no dimmer it goes to 50%. What did i screw up?

You likely have the Grey and Purple wires cross connected somewhere.

gar

Occupation
EE
130827-2116 EDT

gttdnbman:

I would take one ballast and the tubes specified for the ballast and set these up on the bench. Short out the +/- control signal terminals with neither terminal connected to anything else. You have already done this, but it is worth repeating.

If you still get about the same result, then connect a 1.5 volt battery with a series 1 k resistor to the control input terminals. Is there any difference? If the results are about the same as before, then call Sylvania.

Status
Not open for further replies.