low voltage landscape cable indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I read a number of posts here about this topic but none seem to sum up all my questions so here it goes. I will be installing an indoor rated transformer to power some outdoor LV landscape lights. This trans will be mounted on a block wall in a garage about ten feet from where I will penetrate the block wall in order to wire the lights. At first I was just going to run the LV cable along the plate and out but I believe this is not a compliant install, whether it's in a raceway or not. So ok, I'll use romex but when I splice over to the LV cable does the splice have to be in a box? Not a big deal at all, just trying to determine what's right and what's wrong. Also, does the transformer's class have anything to do with the ability to properly install this cable indoors?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I read a number of posts here about this topic but none seem to sum up all my questions so here it goes. I will be installing an indoor rated transformer to power some outdoor LV landscape lights. This trans will be mounted on a block wall in a garage about ten feet from where I will penetrate the block wall in order to wire the lights. At first I was just going to run the LV cable along the plate and out but I believe this is not a compliant install, whether it's in a raceway or not. So ok, I'll use romex but when I splice over to the LV cable does the splice have to be in a box? Not a big deal at all, just trying to determine what's right and what's wrong. Also, does the transformer's class have anything to do with the ability to properly install this cable indoors?

The cable is not rated for indoor use. None of the splices for the class 2 are required to be in a box, but that is not to say that it is not a good idea

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The cable is not rated for indoor use. None of the splices for the class 2 are required to be in a box, but that is not to say that it is not a good idea
Some landscape cable is dual rated as a Class 2 limited-power low voltage wire also, which would allow it to be used indoors under the provisions of
Article 725. If you do find dual-rated wire (Southwire offers some, but with a Canadian rating), just make sure the transformer really is listed as power limited with the Class marked on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.