Arc Fault .... fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gac66610

Was not sure what to name this other than what I did. I have question how well or what level these things work.
There are a couple things thats you will need to trust me on, 1) this is an Arc fault circuit. 2) the Arc fault breaker (GE) did not trip.
First you can see a small spark on the grounded side, I don't think it should/would be enough to cause it to trip, when I unplug the appliance (steam mop)
I think it should. The appliance was not turned on.
Just looking for thoughts and/or opinions.
Thanks
Greg

something didn't load, looks fine on preview. give me a minute sorry

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Did the arc last at least 8 half cycles and was the current at least 5 amps for a combination type AFCI or 75 amps for a branch circuit/feeder type AFCI? If not, the AFCI does not even look at the arc signature.

templdl

Did the arc last at least 8 half cycles and was the current at least 5 amps for a combination type AFCI or 75 amps for a branch circuit/feeder type AFCI? If not, the AFCI does not even look at the arc signature.

You got a smile from me when I read you reply. How many times have I been asked why didn't the breaker trip.'

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe this

Well I got an image at least, but not able to watch the video within the post. clicking on the image does go to the video. Just playing around a little.

Like others have said, that arc was not enough current and/or for long enough duration for the AFCI to even look at any arc signature, if that particular arc were to trip AFCI's we would be bombarded with service calls for tripping AFCI devices even more than what the current level of unknown reasoning tripping incidents currently are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.