Puzzling Overcurrent Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
I am staring at an odd one-line. It shows a pedestal providing power from a 60a/2p w/ 3-#6 & #6 gnd feeding a 100a/2p in a 100a panel 75 ft away with another 60a/2p in that panel feeding another. I believe the 100a/2p is wrong, but cannot find the code section. Any ideas?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am staring at an odd one-line. It shows a pedestal providing power from a 60a/2p w/ 3-#6 & #6 gnd feeding a 100a/2p in a 100a panel 75 ft away with another 60a/2p in that panel feeding another. I believe the 100a/2p is wrong, but cannot find the code section. Any ideas?

The conductors feeding the 100A panel are protected by the 60A breaker and that is correct.
As long as the other panel is the same or higher rated than the panel that is feeding it, that is correct.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
The conductors feeding the 100A panel are protected by the 60A breaker and that is correct.
As long as the other panel is the same or higher rated than the panel that is feeding it, that is correct.

I know the 100a panel is protected by the 60 ahead of it. The 100a, on the deadfront, is labeled, by the mfg, as MAIN BREAKER. It isn't really functioning as a Main Breaker because the 60a/2p 75ft away would trip 1st. It really is a MAIN DISCONNECT. Shouldn't the 100a Main be re-labeled so as to not be misleading at least?

It is one of those "If it doesn't look right, it probably isn't" things or "there otta be a law" one. I could pull some hair out over this if I had any left!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I know the 100a panel is protected by the 60 ahead of it. The 100a, on the deadfront, is labeled, by the mfg, as MAIN BREAKER. It isn't really functioning as a Main Breaker because the 60a/2p 75ft away would trip 1st. It really is a MAIN DISCONNECT. Shouldn't the 100a Main be re-labeled so as to not be misleading at least?

It is one of those "If it doesn't look right, it probably isn't" things or "there otta be a law" one. I could pull some hair out over this if I had any left!

It is the MAIN BREAKER for the panel at that location. Could be MAIN DISCONNECT or SERVICE DISCONNECT. IMO, you're reading to much into it. You may want to indicate where the panel is fed from, ie Building 1, SE Panel 3, CB 5.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It's also not a bad idea to put a label on the 100A panel stating that it's fed from a 60A breaker, so the next person to come along doesn't add a bunch of load to it because he thinks there's plenty of spare capacity. But it's not a Code requirement to do so.

Based on your description, it all sounds compliant. Not the way I'd design it, personally, but these things tend to happen, especially in places where there have been multiple remodels.

Status
Not open for further replies.