Can I use an equipotential bond grid in my grounding electrode system? :- )

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Scenario:

1- 200 amp single phase house service (service drop). (main breaker panel.... one ground to water, no rod (s))

So..... at some time along the way....the owner was told to relocate service drop and meter.

An electrician (?) relocated the drop and meter and added a main breaker to feed existing panel with SEU.

Bonded the new main breaker (neutral/ground) with the green screw, but did not add rods for that new breaker or bring water ground to that breaker.... He also did not
separate the neutrals and grounds that are in the existing panel..

With the system as it is.........besides it not being "right"....... besides paralleling the neutral and ground conductors in the SEU... what else could be dangerously wrong.

(did I mention I re-fed some pool pump equipment and added an equipotential bond grid. This equipment is fed from an existing sub panel fed from that existing main panel)?

If I were to extend the water ground....... can that ground wire be spliced ( I vaguely remember it having to be or exothermically welded......)...I'll look...

Last edited:

John120/240

Scenario:

1- 200 amp single phase house service (service drop). (main breaker panel.... one ground to water, no rod (s))

So..... at some time along the way....the owner was told to relocate service drop and meter.

An electrician (?) relocated the drop and meter and added a main breaker to feed existing panel with SEU.

Bonded the new main breaker (neutral/ground) with the green screw, but did not add rods for that new breaker or bring water ground to that breaker.... He also did not
separate the neutrals and grounds that are in the existing panel..

With the system as it is.........besides it not being "right"....... besides paralleling the neutral and ground conductors in the SEU... what else could be dangerously wrong.

(did I mention I re-fed some pool pump equipment and added an equipotential bond grid. This equipment is fed from an existing sub panel fed from that existing main panel)?

If I were to extend the water ground....... can that ground wire be spliced ( I vaguely remember it having to be or exothermically welded......)...I'll look...

All of your bonding and grounding would be at the Main Disconnect. Yes you can splice your GEC provided the splice is irreversible. (can not be undone) Others will chime in

Status
Not open for further replies.