choosing wire ampacity from NEC tables based on tempurature

Status
Not open for further replies.

highpowered

Just curious to everyones thoughts on the proper column to size your wire from? I would love to use 90 degree column is this correct. My base wire is thhn/thwn-2 for 250 amp sub-panel i would use 4/O indoors.

highpowered

Take a look at 110.14(C).

I dont understand what they mean by not to exceed lowest temp rating of any connected termination, conductor or device? So if a sub panels terminals are rated 60degrees I have to size wire to that? I dont remember ever seeing that on the panel label but then again I never looked for it. I always thought it was for temperature the location the wire was ran in. Whats the standard terminal temp for panels if any?

highpowered

I dont understand what they mean by not to exceed lowest temp rating of any connected termination, conductor or device? So if a sub panels terminals are rated 60degrees I have to size wire to that? I dont remember ever seeing that on the panel label but then again I never looked for it. I always thought it was for temperature the location the wire was ran in. Whats the standard terminal temp for panels if any?

oops read further i see

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

That's it. If they're 75? C then you can use the 75? C ampacity. For all intents and purposes 90? C is only a starting point for derating.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
good to know. I never used it to derate what about continuous load factor ? could I use 90 degree then?

Continuous load factor is figured BEFORE the application of any adjustment or correction factors (see 215.2(A)(1)). Using a higher temperature rated conductor is permitted to be used for ampacity adjustment, correction or both (110.14(C)). So the continuous load factor should be figured at the ampacity based on the termination temperature rating (or the lowest device/termination rating in the circuit.)

For example, if you had a 200A load that was continuous, per 215.2(A)(1) you would need a minimum conductor size that had an ampacity (before any adjustment/correction) of 200 * 1.25 = 250A. A 90deg 4/0 or a 75deg 250mcm has sufficient ampacity, but if the terminations are rated 75 deg you would have to use the 250mcm as the minimum size.

Now lets consider if the ampacity had to be corrected for 120degF ambient (0.75 for 75deg conductors or 0.82 for 90deg conductors.) If you used a 75 deg conductor for the feeder (say THWN) then the corrected ampacity would be 255*0.75=191A. This ampacity is too small for the 200A load, so you would need to increase the conductor size OR you could consider using a 90deg rated conductor. Using 250mcm THWN-2, the corrected ampacity would be 290*0.82=238A. This ampacity is large enough for the 200A load, so it would be acceptable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.