residental lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 different walls that have 15 wall mounted outdoor lightings with each light 42watts or .35amps on a large residential building.
My boss wants to put them on a 20 amp breaker, lighting contactor and photocell. doesn't seem right. can someone help?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have 3 different walls that have 15 wall mounted outdoor lightings with each light 42watts or .35amps on a large residential building.
My boss wants to put them on a 20 amp breaker, lighting contactor and photocell. doesn't seem right. can someone help?
What doesn't seem right?

Volta

Doesn't seem like a bad thing to do, even if not totally necessary. If the photocell will be at a wall rather that through-the-roof at a panel in the center of the building it may be easier to branch out from the middle.

If you want to one-up his drive for a more complex job, you could suggest a single-pole switch next to the contactor to act as an override for when the photocontrol finally stops working. That way the occupants can still turn the lights on manually each night while they wait for an electrician for service.

Doesn't seem like a bad thing to do, even if not totally necessary. If the photocell will be at a wall rather that through-the-roof at a panel in the center of the building it may be easier to branch out from the middle.

If you want to one-up his drive for a more complex job, you could suggest a single-pole switch next to the contactor to act as an override for when the photocontrol finally stops working. That way the occupants can still turn the lights on manually each night while they wait for an electrician for service.

so three different panel room ,three contactors and three photocells....seem like over kill....I like the single pole switch for the override but do like the other

It can be just a photocell, but it'll have to be rated at least 20A to be on a 20A circuit. So would the override switch if installed.

I like the idea of the override switch, just don't see any add ons in the feature. however you would need a contactor and photocell to add a override switch. I will bring up that point to the boss

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Just to make sure we are all reading from the same script, is that a total of 15 lights or is it 15 per wall? The latter was my first thought on reading it, but I do not see it that way anymore.

Note also that a photocell which is approved for that wattage may not necessarily be usable for the equivalent load of LED, CFL or gas discharge lighting. Is the boss looking ahead to when incandescent will not be available?

Volta

I had assumed at 42 watts that it was to be 5.25 amps of CFL. I think most photocontrols would be ok, but good point, they need to be sure.

Also yes, 3 panels is a little different than the OP. That could be a good reason for a contactor. Three p.cells though I can't even guess.

With three panel rooms if only one p.cell I'd almost wonder if a landlord isn't trying to split the site lighting to three different tenants' meters...

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Why is that? I see 404.14(F), but that isn't it. What am I forgetting?
I was assuming one photocell and one override switch for 45 fixtures (OP "3 different walls that have 15 wall mounted outdoor lightings with each light 42watts or .35amps", i.e. 15.75A load).

OP'er will have to clarify whether it is 15 per wall or 15 total...

Volta

I was assuming one photocell and one override switch for 45 fixtures (OP "3 different walls that have 15 wall mounted outdoor lightings with each light 42watts or .35amps", i.e. 15.75A load).

OP'er will have to clarify whether it is 15 per wall or 15 total...

Gotcha. That has become unclear, hasn't it? At the time, I was thinking of an override to energize the coil, in concert with the photocontrol (with the appropriate 404.6(C) Exception wording, of course). Though true, still would be handy without a contactor present.

growler

What doesn't seem right?

When you say "boss" , just whom are you talking about? The guy that signs the checks, a job foreman or some management type (that would have no idea)?

When doing electrical work as an employee I did many jobs that were not designed the way I would have liked but I was getting paid and that was all that was important.

When you have a problem with what the "boss" wants you should talk it over with the boss and see if you can reach an understanding. The boss may have a reason for what he wishes you to do. Just being the boss is a pretty good reason.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You should put which state you're in at least.

If you're in CA the lights on the exterior of a residence must be CFL or controled by a photo cell and a motion sensor. He may only want to use one photo cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.