Egress Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentirwin

A situation exists in the office areas where I have been working for the last few weeks that prompts me to ask opinions/experience of others. Other than exit lights and stairway lights all lighting in the 2 and 3 story office areas, including aisleways, are switched. Below is from NFPA 101 Life Safety Code:

7.8.1.2 Illumination of means of egress shall be continuous during the time that the conditions of occupancy require that the means of egress be available for use, unless otherwise provided in 7.8.1.2.2.

Does anyone have experience and or opinion that 'continuous' might be interpreted as un-switched?

The response from people that I've gotten here is along the lines of, "well, there's a switch for that aisle down on that corner," etc. Being a new employee and always one to arrive early I didn't know where these switches were in various areas. My electrician sense told me where to look but not everyone has 'electrician sense.'

And so I picture a situation where someone comes into the unlighted areas, not realizing where the switches are, and falls over something, etc.

So there you have it. Does anyone interpret or can cite a reference for 'continuous' as meaning un-switched? Thanks.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
7.8.1.2 Illumination of means of egress shall be continuous during the time that the conditions of occupancy require that the means of egress be available for use, unless otherwise provided in 7.8.1.2.2.
Illumination of means of egress shall be "continuous" is self explanatory IMO and requires lighting unless the Exception to 7.8.1.2 is met. Any other switching of the egress lighting does not meet the requirement for "continuous illumination"

Roger

kentirwin

Illumination of means of egress shall be "continuous" is self explanatory IMO and requires lighting unless the Exception to 7.8.1.2 is met. Any other switching of the egress lighting does not meet the requirement for "continuous illumination"

Roger

That's my opinion as well. The problem is that I can find no explicit language stating that. As is usually the case I'm dealing with folks who need some kind of reference to back me up.

I wouldn't care as much except for the fact that I'm their new safety guy with an emphasis on but not restricted to electrical safety. The office areas are attached to a manufacturing facility.

mgookin

Call your local fire marshal. That's who's going to do your annual inspections (assuming you have annual inspections up there).

I'm a graduate of the National Fire Academy and the Florida Fire College and as a building official worked very closely with our fire marshal. I can tell you how we did it, but that does not mean your fire marshal is going to have the same opinion.

Illuminated while the building is occupied can be done via switch. It is assumed the person entering in the dark knows how to turn the lights on. This is usually the first person in in the morning. Upon loss of power, your emergency lights come on and this is tested by throwing the main (unless throwing the main will cause adverse problems, like in a hospital, in which case it's done via throwing a branch circuit breaker).

If an employee has to travel through a dark area to turn on the lights, that could be a problem, because an emergency could arise during that period. But having a switch near a door where they have to fumble for 1/2 second just like we all do when entering a dark restoom, storage room, etc. is not an issue.

Again, your local fire marshal has jurisdiction. Whatever he says rules in that town.

Status
Not open for further replies.