Exposed dryer circuit in garage- wire chase

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkSafe

I have a rent house and the city requires a Certificate of Occupancy for any new tenants. As part of this Certificate, they conduct inspections according to the International Property Maintenance Code (2003).

It has been inspected a few times before with no problems, but we must have gotten a different inspector this time. There is a dryer circuit in the attached garage and the wiring is just fastened to the stud in a open stud bay. It has been like this for the last 40 years. The inspector is stating the wiring needs to be in a "chase" or conduit.

Now, I really don't feel like running conduit or sleeving the cable, so would it be compliant if I took a piece of plywood and fastened it to the two studs, thus enclosing the stud bay? Would that make it a "chase?"

Appreciate the help fellas.

kwired

Electron manager
What code is he claiming is in violation? Ask for section numbers also. I can not tell you what may be in the property maintenance code, but so far you have not described an NEC violation, unless maybe this cable is deemed subject to physical damage.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What code is he claiming is in violation? Ask for section numbers also. I can not tell you what may be in the property maintenance code, but so far you have not described an NEC violation, unless maybe this cable is deemed subject to physical damage.

One thing that the OP has not stated yet is exactly what type the wiring/cable is.

WorkSafe

I'll be going over there on Sunday to see exactly what is going on. The City just mailed us a letter with a list of things that need to be fixed, i.e. no NEC references, etc. Looking at the Property Maintenance Code, there is very little on electrical, but they do have a catch-all.

SECTION 605 ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT

605.1 Installation.

All electrical equipment, wiring and appliances shall be properly installed and maintained in a safe and approved manner.

The thing is, I think they are making us bring the house up to current code even though it should be grandfathered. I don't mind making the changes if there are true benefits to the tenant (i.e. safety/fire, etc), but I just have a feeling this inspector is working above his authority. I probably will contact his supervisor to figure out what their deal is.

masterinbama

Here we have a city entity that regulates rental property. Grandfathered NEC does not apply in their rules, all properties must comply with their rules.

50 year old houses must have GFCI's in the kitchen, bathroom and front and back door.......................................ETC. ETC.

kwired

Electron manager
WorkSafe
user-offline.png

Join DateNov 2009LocationMoore, OKPosts410​

I'll be going over there on Sunday to see exactly what is going on. The City just mailed us a letter with a list of things that need to be fixed, i.e. no NEC references, etc. Looking at the Property Maintenance Code, there is very little on electrical, but they do have a catch-all.

SECTION 605 ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT

605.1 Installation.

All electrical equipment, wiring and appliances shall be properly installed and maintained in a safe and approved manner.

The thing is, I think they are making us bring the house up to current code even though it should be grandfathered. I don't mind making the changes if there are true benefits to the tenant (i.e. safety/fire, etc), but I just have a feeling this inspector is working above his authority. I probably will contact his supervisor to figure out what their deal is.​

Does it mention what a safe and approved manner means? NEC doesn't tell us how to maintain anything, it does give us installation requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.