Fiberglass extension ladder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

I own about three dozen ladders. Only two are aluminum, both are "Little Giant" types, for work on stairs, or over desks, half walls or similar. Other than those purposes I don't have any use for them at all, for reasons outlined above. I carry a fiberglass LG in my truck. Heavy, but versatile.

I do notice of the 6 fatalities mentioned none were performing electrical work, and may have been high on fumes. :roll: I also expect that we know the hazards so much better that even an electrician that commonly used an aluminum ladder would stay far away from the situations those outlined found themselves.

kwired

Electron manager
The following from here http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/89-110/

Case Reports

As part of the Fatal Accident Circumstances and Epidemiology (FACE) Program, NIOSH investigated five incidents (resulting in six electrocutions) that occurred between 1985 and 1987 and that involved contact between portable aluminum ladders and overhead power lines.

Case No. 1--One Fatality

On May 4, 1985, a 28-year-old male worker removed the bottom of a poster on a 12-by-24-foot (-ft) billboard that was scheduled for reposting. He then removed a 24-ft aluminum hook ladder from the service truck. While the worker was positioning the ladder to reach the top section of the billboard, the ladder contacted a 7,200-volt (-V) overhead power line that was located 8 ft from the top of the billboard, and he was electrocuted [NIOSH 1985a].

Case No. 2--One Fatality

On July 21, 1986, a 27-year-old male painter was standing on a fully extended 24-ft aluminum ladder while painting a rain gutter on an apartment building. After painting a section of the gutter, the worker descended the ladder to move it to a new location. As he was repositioning the ladder, it contacted a 7,200-V overhead power line that was located 8 ft from the gutter, and he was electrocuted [NIOSH 1987d].

Case No. 3--Two Fatalities

On November 17, 1986, two male painters (20 and 21 years old) were using a 36-ft aluminum extension ladder to paint a 20-ft-high metal light pole. One worker was standing on the ladder painting, and his coworker was on the ground holding the ladder. The ladder slipped away from the pole and contacted a 12,460-V overhead power line that was located within 2 ft of the pole. Both painters were electrocuted [NIOSH 1987c].

Case No. 4--One Fatality

On September 1, 1987, a 28-year-old male painter and a coworker were using an aluminum extension ladder while cleaning the outside brick wall of a three-story convalescent home before painting. After cleaning one section, the workers moved the ladder to another location. The painter held the base of the ladder as the coworker simultaneously climbed and raised the extension of the 40-ft ladder. When the ladder was extended to approximately 34-ft, it tipped backward, contacting a 7,200-V overhead power line that was located 15 ft from the structure. The coworker on the ladder received an electrical shock and fell to the ground. The painter holding the ladder provided a path to the ground for the electrical current and was electrocuted [NIOSH 1987b].

Case No. 5--One Fatality

On September 24, 1987, an 18-year-old male construction worker and two coworkers were looking for an area on an office building roof to store shingles. The 18-year-old and a coworker were holding a fully extended, 32-ft aluminum ladder as the other coworker descended it. The ladder tipped backward, contacting a 7,200-V overhead power line that was located 6 ft from the building, electrocuting the 18-year-old holding the ladder, and shocking the other two coworkers [NIOSH 1987a].

Though I agree with you about the conductive properties of the aluminum ladder and the increased hazards it may present, you have to ask why medium voltage lines were in as close of proximity as they were in every one of those incidents?

Around here it has become very common to see POCO refusing to install over 600 volt open lines within at least 50 feet of any other structure, and doing anything possible to eliminate anything already existing that doesn't comply with this basic rule.

iwire

Staff member
I do notice of the 6 fatalities mentioned none were performing electrical work, and may have been high on fumes. :roll: I also expect that we know the hazards so much better that even an electrician that commonly used an aluminum ladder would stay far away from the situations those outlined found themselves.

I think it is very likely our fellow tradesmen are even more likely to be swing extension ladders near power lines.

We have fiberglass little giants. :)

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I think it is very likely our fellow tradesmen are even more likely to be swing extension ladders near power lines.

*that* is one heavy brick of a ladder. :happysad:

i looked at them, but.... 46 lbs, and $600....
almost as much as a coffee maker.....:p

the kiss of death for me was the weight.
the aluminum variant is 38 lbs, and that's heavy
for a ladder in that size...

iwire

Staff member

It is.

I will not try to pretend the ladder is a easy to move. I would never choose to use it in areas where a normal ladder would work. :happyno:

It has wheels on it that are supposed to let you roll it like a two wheeler but they don't help.

Volta

Yeah, I want more, at 33% of mine being fiberglass, I give myself a failing grade, but getting better. :)

i looked at them, but.... 46 lbs, and $600....
almost as much as a coffee maker.....:p

the kiss of death for me was the weight.
the aluminum variant is 38 lbs, and that's heavy
for a ladder in that size...

You make some good coffee!

Yeah, I must've walked into the ladder store 4 times, asking if the 5/11' fiberglass LG was still $500. They always smiled and said, "Yup". :weeping:
But I finally managed and have loved it. I've probably had it 5 years now, and it's holding up well.

renosteinke

How tall are you?

That's a serious point at the lengths we're discussing. Setting up a ladder that, when closed. is more than twice as long as you can reach can be almost impossible- unless you have a place to 'anchor' the feet. Unless you can easily reach 7-ft., 28-ft is "too much ladder."

Werner is selling some 3-section ladders. They look interesting. Has anyone tried them?

Otherwise, I really like the Louisville FE3200 "ProTop" series ladders. These extension ladders have a different top than any other extension ladder, and I find it most useful.

Occupation
Inspector
I work by myself and I carry a 24' fiberglass ladder on my van at all times. I can move it around rather comfortably and it works for 98% of my needs.

I also have the the aluminum Little Giant 21' Skyscraper. That one is a little harder to maneuver alone but I can do it. It took a bit of work to figure out how to get it on top of my van by myself. I charge a fee for each time THAT ladder is put on and taken off my van, I call it my BAL fee.

I keep a 24' on top of my van, and I throw the 28' on for those special occasions when I may have to reach a little higher. Like some others have already mentioned, no single ladder will work for all situations. However, there is a reason that the 24' stays on the truck all the time, and the 28' hangs out in the shop until duty calls for it. Keep in mind that there is always the option to rent a larger ladder until it is needed frequent enough to warrant purchasing.

templdl

You guys all have much more experience than I will ever have and it has been very informative reviewing you posts. If I were to invest in a ladder I would either borrow or rent one to use to see if you feel comfortable with it. My experience starts goes back to a 6' wood step ladder that I had purchased 40 years ago. The thing is built like a tank. When on a solid secure floor I have no problem breaking all the rules and stand on the very top without feeling uncomfortable. But the darned thing is heavy.
So I bought a Warner type #1, 250# 6' since I weight 225# and have regretted it ever since. It should ha just as well went with a 1A. I feel uncomfortable standing on the 2 step from the top limitation. The ladder is too squirmy.
I borrowed an aluminum 32' a while back that was fantastic in that it had rungs that were flat on the top which made it very comfortable to stand on. As long as it was set up on a stable surface it felt very secure to climb and work from. I was never afraid that a strong wind would blow it over. It was easy to extend and retract but a pain in the butt to lift into place by myself. If you think about the physics a 32' is 16' closed. On half of 16 is 8' which would be the balance point. Then you have to be very tall to have an 8' reach. So you try to walk up a 16' long item if you aren't able to set it against something when you have less than an 8' reach can be quite challenging. I would consider a 24 or 28' in you can't justify a 32'.
I realize that my experience is very limited but it is of my opinion that ladders are very personal and asking for opinions is an extremely good start. But they are costly and buying one that you end up regretting can be a waist of you money. It may be best to just rent a ladder that you may use infrequently. You may find a better place tp spend your money rather than on something that sits around a lot.
Again, I highly recommend that you borrow, rent, or lease one first and then decide which one you are most comfortable with.
Incidentally, it is to be noted that of the fatalities listed does that mean that 7200v should be avoided :)? Also, being injured for fatally injured by a call from a ladder may be attributed to electrocution aluminum ladder or not. A fiberglass ladder just eliminates that as a possible current path.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I find it interesting that, especially if the ladder has a rubber friction foot, it is the poor guy holding the bottom of the ladder without using gloves who takes the hardest hit.

PetrosA

Has any body tried one of the 12' ladders where the legs nest in the previous section ?
/12.5-ft-aluminum-extension-telescoping-ladder-380-lbs.html?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=org
The HVAC guys had one & it looked slick .
Maybe this link will work better
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...minum+ladder&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Xtend-Climb-7...6&sr=8-8&keywords=telescoping+aluminum+ladder

I love it for a number of uses - It's great for getting in closet accesses to attic crawlspaces, works for relamp jobs in many staircases, is light and easy to maneuver in houses, is good at getting you up to stuff that your A-frames or extension ladder are either too long or short for. I had qualms at first because of the price, but it's paid for itself many times over already.

One more thing... I looked at the weight of the ladder you linked to (the black one with higher weight rating than the yellow one I have) and although it's got a higher rating, it weighs about 3 lbs. less. I think I'd go with the X-tend-a-Climb brand. They make a nice, solid product.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.