Grounding of all outlets in old house

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewartgarcia

New User
I am required to ground all outlets in a 25yr old house that has PVC conduit. Is it acceptable per NEC to install GFCI breakers at the panel (24pt) and comply vs. rewiring all house? If so, please refer to code chapter. Thank you

Stewart

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
First off- are you doing the work? and are you licensed. If you are required to ground the outlets then a gfci does not actual ground the receptacles and should not qualify.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I am required to ground all outlets in a 25yr old house that has PVC conduit. Is it acceptable per NEC to install GFCI breakers at the panel (24pt) and comply vs. rewiring all house? If so, please refer to code chapter. Thank you

Stewart

A GFCI is acceptable to use for feeding 3 wire receptacles where no equipment ground is present.
406.3- (D) b & c
But they will still not be grounded.

growler

Stewart

We are talking about a house built in 1987-88 or there about?

They would have been required to pull grounds in that PVC when the house was built so it was never wired to code in the first place.

I think they should make you bring it up to at least the build date code.

As a GC if you are doing a major remodel they could require that everything be brought up to today's code.

They would have been required to pull grounds in that PVC when the house was built so it was never wired to code in the first place.

As a GC if you are doing a major remodel they could require that everything be brought up to today's code.

Agree with Growler

kwired

Electron manager
1. Equipment grounding rules were in place before they started making PVC conduit.

2. If wiring is run in a conduit, why not pull new grounding conductors through the conduits? Unless it is real difficult may cost less than GFCI breakers, and plus you gain actual equipment grounding instead of a measure to help out in the case of ground faults.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

In reading the OP, this screams a million violations likely beyond the missing EGC. How many houses have you seen with a complete and compliant PVC raceway system? I'm picturing a bunch of water pipe ells, open ended conduits, wrong/no boxes, etc. There has to be a lot more to this story.

kwired

Electron manager
In reading the OP, this screams a million violations likely beyond the missing EGC. How many houses have you seen with a complete and compliant PVC raceway system? I'm picturing a bunch of water pipe ells, open ended conduits, wrong/no boxes, etc. There has to be a lot more to this story.
Though you are probably right, maybe it is a pretty good install otherwise and the installer didn't realize that to use the raceway as an EGC it must be metallic raceway:eek:

growler

I am required to ground all outlets in a 25yr old house that has PVC conduit.

Stewart

I'm sure there is more to the story.

It would be nice if the OP would clarify just which authority is requiring the outlets be grounded.

It could be anything from a simple home inspection to a section eight or HUD inspection.

If the house was vacant long enough it could be condemned and this allows the authorities to require a new certificate of occupancy and they can make the owner bring all kinds of things up to todays code.

I also wonder why a GC is not asking advice from his electrician about this problem.

Occupation
Inspector
To the OP; a picture or two would be nice as well. It would help us understand the current installation and would help us give you some guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.